• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

12 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Saw this article posted on another discussion site: 

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/08/29/damon-baehrel-the-most-exclusive-restaurant-in-america

This guy supposedly forages almost everything from the 12 acres around him and is booked out for years.  Some people are skeptical whether he really does as much as he says, and I have to admit I am one of them.

I immediately thought of @gfron1 - Rob, I'd love to read your take on this.  How possible is it that one person can do all that foraging, curing, grinding, pickling, etc and still have time to develop dishes and produce dinners?  This reminds me of the Mast Bros expose' - he may be foraging and cooking, but with some exaggeration of production.  I bet he cooks when he feels like it or several times a month, but nightly dinner service?

I thought of @gfron too.  I also wondered about how a few acres of woodland and swamp could be that intensively foraged and still hold up

gfweb

gfweb

12 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Saw this article posted on another discussion site: 

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/08/29/damon-baehrel-the-most-exclusive-restaurant-in-america

This guy supposedly forages almost everything from the 12 acres around him and is booked out for years.  Some people are skeptical whether he really does as much as he says, and I have to admit I am one of them.

I immediately thought of @gfron1 - Rob, I'd love to read your take on this.  How possible is it that one person can do all that foraging, curing, grinding, pickling, etc and still have time to develop dishes and produce dinners?  This reminds me of the Mast Bros expose' - he may be foraging and cooking, but with some exaggeration of production.  I bet he cooks when he feels like it or several times a month, but nightly dinner service?

I thought of @gfron too.  I also wondered about how 4 acres of woodland and swamp could be that intensively foraged and still hold up