• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bhukhhad

Bhukhhad

Plum Chutney 

The last of the fresh plums from my friend's yard. Turned into a flinger licking chutney. 

Ingredients: 
1 lb plums or about 15 small plums
2 tspn salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/3 tspn hing
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn whole methi seeds
2-4 tspn sugar
3 tspn red chili powder (mirchi)
1/4 cup oil

De seed and chop plums into bite sized pieces. Discard the seed.

In a pan heat the oil and sputter the methi and mustard. Just as they begin to sputter turn off the heat. Add hing and immediately add the plums. Add salt, haldi and red chili powder. Stir. Now turn the heat back on and cook the plums on a moderate flame till soft. The intent is to lose most of the moisture. But be careful not to overcook because the fresh plummy taste will disappear with over cooking. 

Cool. Store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator. Serve with chapatti, rice or spread on bread as a savory sandwich paste. 

I tried it as a chutney on slices of roasted chicken breast and it transformed the meal. Maybe I will try it on some dosa next! 

Yum yum

Bhukhhad

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bhukhhad

Bhukhhad

Plum Chutney 

The last of the fresh plums from my friend's yard. Turned into a flinger licking chutney. 

Ingredients: 
1 lb plums or about 15 small plums
2 tspn salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/3 tspn hing
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn whole methi seeds
2-4 tspn sugar
3 tbspn red chili powder (mirchi)
1/4 cup oil

De seed and chop plums into bite sized pieces. Discard the seed.

In a pan heat the oil and sputter the methi and mustard. Just as they begin to sputter turn off the heat. Add hing and immediately add the plums. Add salt, haldi and red chili powder. Stir. Now turn the heat back on and cook the plums on a moderate flame till soft. The intent is to lose most of the moisture. But be careful not to overcook because the fresh plummy taste will disappear with over cooking. 

Cool. Store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator. Serve with chapatti, rice or spread on bread as a savory sandwich paste. 

I tried it as a chutney on slices of roasted chicken breast and it transformed the meal. Maybe I will try it on some dosa next! 

Yum yum

Bhukhhad

image.jpeg

image.jpeg