• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

On 7/29/2016 at 2:04 AM, liuzhou said:

Another dish that America adopted, mostly from German and Dutch origins. However, meatloaf recipes date back to Roman times. There are also Asian versions.

Of course, of course, LH.  I don't think you'd have to explain to any of us Americans, and by that I mean all Americans - north, south, central - that the US is a "melting pot" of many ethnic groups, cultures, cuisines.  We're an immigrant nation and that's one of the things we're famous for.  With the exception of Native American dishes (and some might argue that even they were brought over on the land bridge from Asia) and well-known New World ingredients, EVERYTHING here in the US likely has origins elsewhere.  I know I do.

But let me remind you of the original query: 

"Hii

Please mention some American dishes names. I am learning cooking and I want to know few of the great dishes names which are liked by the majority of people."

Now, it's certainly possible that the original poster meant, by "American", to refer to the entire hemisphere, and was interested in beginning an in-depth scholarly research discussion as to which dishes and ingredients are indigenous to The Americas.

But I don't think so.

I think he was interested in learning a "few of the great dishes which are liked by the majority of people" in the US.

Although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a US-type non-Indian-ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top, qualifies.

I would suggest that to him.  Along with fried chicken and apple pie.  

However something tells me he long since may have given up.

And left.

Jaymes

Jaymes

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Another dish that America adopted, mostly from German and Dutch origins. However, meatloaf recipes date back to Roman times. There are also Asian versions.

Of course, of course, LH.  I don't think you'd have to explain to any of us Americans, and by that I mean all Americans - north, south, central - that the US is a "melting pot" of many ethnic groups, cultures, cuisines.  We're an immigrant nation and that's one of the things we're famous for.  With the exception of Native American dishes (and some might argue that even they were brought over on the land bridge from Asia) and well-known New World ingredients, EVERYTHING here in the US likely has origins elsewhere.  I know I do.

"Hii

Please mention some American dishes names. I am learning cooking and I want to know few of the great dishes names which are liked by the majority of people."

Now, it's certainly possible that the original poster meant, by "American", to refer to the entire hemisphere, and was interested in beginning an in-depth scholarly research discussion as to which dishes and ingredients are indigenous to The Americas.

But I don't think so.

I think he was interested in learning a "few of the great dishes which are liked by the majority of people" in the US.

Although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a US-type non-Indian-ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top, qualifies.

And left.

Jaymes

Jaymes

"Hii

But I don't think so.

Although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a US-type non-Indian-ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top of it, qualifies.

And left.

Jaymes

Jaymes

"Hii

But I don't think so.

Although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a US-type non-Indian-ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top of it, qualifies.

Although something tells me he long since may have given up.

And left.

Jaymes

Jaymes

"Hii

But I don't think so.

And, although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a US-type non-Indian-ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top of it, qualifies.

Jaymes

Jaymes

"Hii

But I don't think so.

And, although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a non-Indian US-type ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top of it, qualifies.

Jaymes

Jaymes

"Hii

Now, it's certainly possible that the original poster meant, by "American", to refer to the entire hemisphere, and was interested in beginning an in-depth discussion as to which dishes and ingredients are indigenous to The Americas.

But I don't think so.

And, although I have no doubt that everywhere in the world where there was meat there was also some sort of loaf made from it, I firmly believe that typical US American meatloaf as prepared in countless kitchens across this land, complete with a non-Indian US-type ketchup-based sauce carefully ladled over the top of it, qualifies.

Jaymes

Jaymes

Of course, of course, LH.  I don't think you'd have to explain to any of us Americans, and by that I mean all Americans - north, south, central - that the US is a "melting pot" of many ethnic groups, cultures, cuisines.  We're an immigrant nation and that's one of the things we're famous for.  With the exception of Native American dishes (and some might argue that even they were brought over on the land bridge from Asia) and well-known New World ingredients, EVERYTHING here in the US likely has origins elsewhere.  I know that I do.

"Hii

Now, it's certainly possible that the original poster meant, by "American", to refer to the entire hemisphere, and was interested in beginning an in-depth discussion as to which dishes and ingredients are indigenous to The Americas.

But I don't think so.

Jaymes

Jaymes

Of course, of course, LH.  I don't think you'd have to explain to any of us Americans, and by that I mean all Americans - north, south, central - that the US is a "melting pot" of many ethnic groups, cultures, cuisines.  We're an immigrant nation and that's one of the things we're famous for.  With the exception of Native American dishes (and some might argue that even they were brought over on the land bridge from Asia) and well-known New World ingredients, EVERYTHING here in the US likely has origins elsewhere.  I certainly know that I do.

"Hii

But I don't think so.

Jaymes

Jaymes

Of course, of course, LH.  I don't think you'd have to explain to any of us Americans, and by that I mean all Americans - north, south, central - that the US is a "melting pot" of many ethnic groups, cultures, cuisines.  We're an immigrant nation and that's one of the things we're famous for.  With the exception of Native American dishes (and some might argue that even they were brought over on the land bridge from Asia) and well-known New World ingredients, EVERYTHING here in the US likely has origins elsewhere.

"Hii

But I don't think so.