• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Arey

Arey

55 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The problem with that link is that most of the dishes, while popular in America, weren't originally American. Being a nation of immigrants, most of the USA's food culture is imported. Or at least adapted from foreign cuisines - Europe, China, Africa, S. America. Apple pie existed in England long before America was colonised, for example. And items like "fried chicken" and "fried fish" are universal - not American.

Wikipedia fail again.

True American food is rare. General Tso's Chicken may qualify. It certainly isn't Chinese!

45 minutes ago, kayb said:

Obviously I don't know how to delete a quote This is Arey speaking not KayB)

Applying this standard I can say that nothing involving potatoes, bell peppers, corn, cornstarch, some sorts of beans etc. can be called Chinese food.  Years ago I used to go to a Greek Restaurant and one day mentioned to the woman who ran the place that I was growing Greek oregano. She said that was impossible and it couldn't be Greek oregano because I was growing it in New Jersey and not Greece. You can't call it a lima bean unless you're eating it in Lima Peru, y you can't call it Lebanon Bologna unless you're eating it in Lebanon (Pa. that is) and you can't call it French dressing on your salad unless you're eating it in France, although they'd probably deport you for even putting that crap on your salad and then calling it French.

Arey

Arey

53 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The problem with that link is that most of the dishes, while popular in America, weren't originally American. Being a nation of immigrants, most of the USA's food culture is imported. Or at least adapted from foreign cuisines - Europe, China, Africa, S. America. Apple pie existed in England long before America was colonised, for example. And items like "fried chicken" and "fried fish" are universal - not American.

Wikipedia fail again.

True American food is rare. General Tso's Chicken may qualify. It certainly isn't Chinese!

43 minutes ago, kayb said:

Obviously I don't know how to delete a quote This is Arey speaking not KayB)

Applying this standard I can say that nothing involving potatoes, bell peppers, corn, cornstarch, some sorts of beans etc. can be called Chinese food.  Years ago I used to go to a Greek Restaurant and one day mentioned to the woman who ran the place that I was growing Greek oregano. She said that was impossible and it couldn't be Greek oregano because I was growing it in New Jersey and not Greece. You can't call it a lima bean unless you're eating it in Lima Peru, you can't call it you can't call it Lebanon Bologna unless you're eating it in Lebanon (Pa. that is) and you can't call it French dressing on your salad unless you're eating it in France, although they'd probably deport you for even putting that crap on your salad and then calling it French.

Arey

Arey

38 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Wikipedia fail again.

28 minutes ago, kayb said:

Applying this standard I can say that nothing involving potatoes, bell peppers, corn, cornstarch, some sorts of beans etc. can be called Chinese food.  Years ago I used to go to a Greek Restaurant and one day mentioned to the woman who ran the place that I was growing Greek oregano. She said that was impossible and it couldn't be Greek oregano because I was growing it in New Jersey and not Greece. You can't call it a lima bean unless you're eating it in Lima Peru, you can't call it you can't call it Lebanon Bologna unless you're eating it in Lebanon (Pa. that is) and you can't call it French dressing on your salad unless you're eating it in France, although they'd probably deport you for even putting that crap on your salad and then calling it French.