• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

1 hour ago, Deryn said:

shain - It 'could' exist I am sure - but I am not sure it would hold together well after freeze drying if its sole ingredients were flour and water (plus a bit of salt) since freeze-drying takes out all the water leaving ... flour. Perhaps if one added an egg that would help. I am not near my FD right now or I would see what I could do to find a more definitive answer.

I have FD'd both fresh and dried pastas but they were already cooked and there were other ingredients in the mix as well.

Interesting thought, I would assume that the gluten "network" will hold after dried. On a second thought, I guess there should be no real difference between regular dried pasta and freeze-dried one. It might be interesting to FD ravioli and other stuffed pasta, where regular drying can't work.

By the way, how does re-hydrated previously cooked and dried pasta compare to freshly cooked pasta?

shain

shain

1 hour ago, Deryn said:

shain - It 'could' exist I am sure - but I am not sure it would hold together well after freeze drying if its sole ingredients were flour and water (plus a bit of salt) since freeze-drying takes out all the water leaving ... flour. Perhaps if one added an egg that would help. I am not near my FD right now or I would see what I could do to find a more definitive answer.

I have FD'd both fresh and dried pastas but they were already cooked and there were other ingredients in the mix as well.

Interesting thought, I would assume that the gluten "network" will hold after dried. On a second thought, I guess there should be no real difference between regular dried pasta and freeze-dried one. It might be interesting to FD ravioli and other stuffed pasta, where regular drying can't work