• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I read this thread and wondered if you have recently installed Windows 10? If so, you may have the answer if you can move everything to a Win 7 computer. Perhaps the difference between you and those still able to run this program is that they are still using some version of Windows previous to 10. If this guy has 'disappeared' perhaps he never got around the making the software compatible with Win 10. Sounds as though you may be also lucky if your data was not stored on a 'cloud' somewhere (owned by the person who markets this software, who disappeared).

This is one reason I do not trust anything to 'cloud' storage - if that 'cloud' fails (and it can since it is on a server somewhere) or the company fails and stops supporting everything you could definitely lose all your data. Nothing magical about 'clouds' - they are still hardware based, just not in your house. But, one hopes that is not the case here.

I hope you get all your recipes back, safe and sound. Good luck.

Deryn

Deryn

I read this thread and wondered if you have recently installed Windows 10? If so, you may have the answer if you can move everything to a Win 7 computer. Perhaps the difference between you and those still able to run this program is that they are still using some version of Windows previous to 10. If this guy has 'disappeared' perhaps he never got around the making the software compatible with Win 10. Sounds as though you may be also lucky if your data was not stored on a 'cloud' somewhere (owned by the person who markets this software, who disappeared).

This is one reason I do not trust anything to 'cloud' storage - if that 'cloud' fails (and it can since it is on a server somewhere) or the company fails and stops supporting everything you could definitely lose everything. Nothing magical about 'clouds' - they are still hardware based, just not in your house.

Deryn

Deryn

This is one reason I do not trust anything to 'cloud' storage - if that 'cloud' fails (and it can since it is on a server somewhere) you will definitely lose everything.

Deryn

Deryn

I read this thread and wondered if you have recently installed Windows 10? If so, you may have the answer if you can move everything to a Win 7 computer. Perhaps the difference between you and those still able to run this program is that they are also using some version of Windows previous to 10. If this guy has 'disappeared' perhaps he never got around the making the software compatible with Win 10. Sounds as though you may be also lucky if your data was not stored on a 'cloud' somewhere (owned by the person who markets this software, who disappeared).

This is one reason I do not trust anything to 'cloud' storage - if that 'cloud' fails (and it can since it is on a server somewhere) you will definitely lose everything.