• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

One small point I forgot to mention about pre-cut vegetables, particularly applicable I think to the mixed packs, is that one must be careful to check for 'freshness' (as much as one can when they are enrobed in plastic wrap). Of course too, cut vegetables aren't going to hang around in your kitchen as long as the whole ones would in most cases, so, for me, they are only bought for 'same day' use. At some stores, I just won't buy them at all because I think they deliberately use the vegetables they are about to dump and hope the consumer won't be able to tell. That concern is the same one I have about any meat or fish that has been 'pre-marinated'. It usually IS about stretching the 'best before' dates (not really customer 'convenience' or making something 'gourmet') and, to boot, they charge more than they would for the fresher unadulterated stuff.  

Deryn

Deryn

One small point I forgot to mention about pre-cut vegetables, particularly applicable I think to the mixed packs, is that one must be careful to check for 'freshness' (as much as one can when they are enrobed in plastic wrap). Of course too, cut vegetables aren't going to hang around in your kitchen as long as the whole ones would in most cases. At some stores, I just won't buy them at all because I think they deliberately use the vegetables they are about to dump and hope the consumer won't be able to tell. That concern is the same one I have about any meat or fish that has been 'pre-marinated'. It usually IS about stretching the 'best before' dates (not really customer 'convenience' or making something 'gourmet') and, to boot, they charge more than they would for the fresher unadulterated stuff.