• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

I love casseroles. There are a lot of relatively light and definitely gourmet options. Several of my favorites are from an ancient article (appropriately titled "Casseroles") in the long defunct magazine Cuisine - Pork and Pepper Moussaka, Herbed Lamb with White Beans, Corn and Beef Pastel, Ham and Spinach Strata - not a bit of cheese in any of them. Then there is Baked pasta with Chicken Parmesan and Arroz con Jocoqui - those both do have cheese. 9_9 There is also a (somewhat) simplified version of cassolulet in the CI cookbook - French Pork and White Bean casserole - that is very good. And I still make Solyanka from the original Moosewood Cookbook - late 70"s vegetarian gourmet - containing potatoes, cabbage, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt among other things. I think lasagna qualifies as a casserole, so how about a chicken and vegetable lasagna? If you would like any recipes, let me know.

I think I like casseroles so much because I can assemble everything when I have time, refrigerate them and then just stick it in the oven, make a salad, pour some wine and dinner is ready. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

I love casseroles. There are a lot of relatively light and definitely gourmet options. Several of my favorites are from an ancient article (appropriately titled "Casseroles") in the long defunct magazine Cuisine - Pork and Pepper Moussaka, Herbed Lamb with White Beans, Corn and Beef Pastel, Ham and Spinach Strata - not a bit of cheese in any of them. Then there is Baked pasta with Chicken Parmesan and Arroz con Jocoqui - those both do have cheese. 9_9 There is also a (somewhat) simplified version of cassolulet in the CI cookbook - French Pork and White Bean casserole - that is very good. And I still make Solyanka from the original Moosewood Cookbook - late 70"s vegetarian gourmet - containing potatoes, cabbage, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt among other things. I think lasagna qualifies as a casserole, so how about a chicken and vegetable lasagna? If you would like any recipes, let me know.

I think I like casseroles so much because I can assemble everything when I have time, refrigerate them and then just stick it in the oven, make a salad, pur some wine and dinner is ready. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

I love casseroles. There are a lot of relatively light and definitely gourmet options. Several of my favorites are from an ancient article (appropriately titled "Casseroles") in the long defunct magazine Cuisine - Pork and Pepper Moussaka, Herbed Lamb with White Beans, Corn and Beef Pastel, Ham and Spinach Strata - not a bit of cheese in any of them. Then there is Baked pasta with Chicken Parmesan and Arroz con Jocoqui - those both do have cheese. 9_9 There is also a (somewhat) simplified version of cassolulet in the CI cookbook - French Pork and White Bean casserole that is very good. And I still make Solyanka from the original Moosewood Cookbook - late 70"s vegetarian gourmet - containing potatoes, cabbage, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt among other things. I think lasagna qualifies as a casserole, so how about a chicken and vegetable lasagna? If you would like any recipes, let me know.

I think I like casseroles so much because I can assemble everything when I have time, refrigerate them and then just stick it in the oven, make a salad, pur some wine and dinner is ready.