• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Newton-by-the-sea has a renowned Pub famous for their crab sandwiches. I would say they are Ok rather than amazing but nice location. Problem is that it has been discovered by the London crowd and it seemed more like Clapham-by-the-sea when I went. Long way to go for crab sandwiches though...Craster and Seahouses are other places you might find similar.

There are other reasonable pubs but I don't recall.

Would recommend Howick Hall for afternoon tea and lovely gardens.

The smokehouse restaurant in Craster was certainly a winner. Elsewhere, even the ones mentioned in the Good Pub Guides seem to concentrate on Fsh chps and little else. And even I get tired of fish n chips after a couple of days. So, the flip side of Northumbria being like the Dales thirty years ago, in terms of numbers of tourists, is that its like the Dales thirty years ago in terms of food as well.

Though The Apple in LUcker is great, and, just into Scotland, The Border in Kirk Yeatholm is lovely.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.