• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is worth pointing out that peanut oil is not the oil of choice in huge parts of China. Sometime ago, on a Chinese non-cooking specific forum, I mentioned that the only oil one of my supermarkets carries is peanut oil and was bombarded by people accusing me of lying because the supermarkets in their area never had peanut oil. "Everyone uses XXXXXX oil! you liar!"

Other oils used in different parts of China include rape seed (canola), soy bean oil, corn oil, sunflower seed oil etc.

Some less common oils are grape seed oil, perilla oil, camellia oil and this:

56e21d4eebd7b_CannabisSativaL.(Oil).thum

Here is what I have written in the past about fats and oils in China. Part 1  Part 2 Part 3

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is worth [pointing out that peanut oil is not the oil of choice in huge parts of China. Sometime ago, on a Chinese non-cooking specific forum, I mentioned that the only oil one of my supermarkets carries is peanut oil and was bombarded by people accusing me of lying because the supermarkets in their area never had peanut oil. "Everyone uses XXXXXX oil! you liar!"

Other oils used in different parts of China include rape seed (Canola), soy bean oil, corn oil, sunflower seed oil etc.

Here is what I have written in the past about fats and oils in China. Part 1  Part 2 Part 3

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is worth [pointing out that peanut oil is not the oil of choice in huge parts of China. Sometime ago, on a Chinese non-cooking specific forum, I mentioned that the only oil one of my supermarkets carries is peanut oil and was bombarded by people accusing me of lying because the supermarkets in their area never had peanut oil. "Everyone uses XXXXXX oil! you liar!"

Other oils used in different parts of China include rape seed (Canola), soy bean oil, corn oil, sunflower seed oil etc.

Here is what I have written in the past about fats and oils in China. Part 1  Part 2. Part 3

liuzhou

liuzhou

Here is what I have written in the past about fats and oils in China. Part 2