• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Thanks all.  I shall look for Rice Bran Oil next time we are in the city. 

I'm afraid that our taste buds are not sophisticated enough to tell the difference between one oil and another.   No doubt you would all laugh heartily at our attempts at Chinese dishes.  Unfortunately we now have only those horrible 'All-You-Can-Eat' buffets in our area now and we find the food unacceptable.  All swimming in the same sauce pretty much.  Chinese food for the Cheese Whiz crowd.  (Sorry if I am insulting some eGulleters.  Can't think of a more useful comparison.)

I just suggest Rice Bran Oil as I find it totally neutral in taste. I often read that peanut oil is neutral, but I can definitely taste it. I don't object to the taste in Chinese food, although I think it is foul  with say a fried egg - and then all the allergy issues if cooking for other people. So I default to Rice Bran, except for olive oil in western dishes - never, ever in Chinese.

I wouldn't laugh at your Chinese dishes. I'd praise you for moving on from the disgrace of the so-called Chinese food you have experienced and praise your attempts to improve on it - to your and your DH's liking.

liuzhou

liuzhou

59 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I'm afraid that our taste buds are not sophisticated enough to tell the difference between one oil and another.   No doubt you would all laugh heartily at our attempts at Chinese dishes.  Unfortunately we now have only those horrible 'All-You-Can-Eat' buffets in our area now and we find the food unacceptable.  All swimming in the same sauce pretty much.  Chinese food for the Cheese Whiz crowd.  (Sorry if I am insulting some eGulleters.  Can't think of a more useful comparison.)

I just suggest Rice Bran Oil as I find it totally neutral in taste. I often read that peanut oil is neutral, but I can definitely taste it. I don't object to the taste in Chinese food, although I think it is foul  with say a fried egg. So I default to Rice Bran, except for olive oil in western dishes - never, ever in Chinese.

I wouldn't laugh at your Chinese dishes. I'd praise you for moving on from the disgrace of the so-called Chinese food you have experienced and praise your attempts to improve on it - to your and your DH's liking.

liuzhou

liuzhou

50 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I just suggest Rice Bran Oil as I find it totally neutral in taste. I often read that peanut oil is neutral, but I can definitely taste it. I don't object to the taste in Chinese food, although I think it is foul  with say a fried egg. So I default to Rice Bran, except for olive oil in western dishes - never, ever in Chinese.

I wouldn't laugh at your Chinese dishes. I'd praise you for moving on from the disgrace of the so-called Chinese food you have experienced and your attempts to improve on it - to you and your DH's liking.