• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I have not supported the Tovala Kickstarter campaign.  If I didn't already have the Cuisi steam oven, I think I'd take a chance.  The slightly larger capacity, if it can really accommodate a 1/4 sheet pan would be great, thought that's probably more for the convenience of using existing cookware than actually cooking more food.  And it does look nice and sleek.   A 30 day warranty would certainly give me pause. 

On one hand, I much prefer the tactic of using a mobile device app to control an appliance over building a complex user interface into the appliance itself.  On the other hand, I'm not sure that this particular appliance is one that benefits from that sort of remote access.  I'm concerned that the limited manual buttons will require excessive use of the remote user interface.  If I check and decide that something needs 5 more minutes on convection or broil after the steam-bake time that I've entered, do I really need to get the phone and use my greasy, cooking fingers to add that setting to the little oven that's sitting right in front of me?  

My first thought was that it would be nice to program in cook cycle that would steam-bake for x minutes and then switch to broil for y minutes but the reality is that I'd prefer to check the food after the first phase and decide what additional cooking was most appropriate.

I thought it was interesting that several photos and videos on the Tovala Kickstarter page show the Cuisi steam oven being used in their "test kitchen" and apparently in their prototype development.  

I'm really curious to see what they do with this.  If you want to start your own, @rotuts-kickstarter xD to fund your continued participation in the Tavola scheme, I would contribute, knowing that you have a solid record in testing and reporting your carefully documented (lab notebook) results!  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I have not supported the Tavola Kickstarter campaign.  If I didn't already have the Cuisi steam oven, I think I'd take a chance.  The slightly larger capacity, if it can really accommodate a 1/4 sheet pan would be great, thought that's probably more for the convenience of using existing cookware than actually cooking more food.  And it does look nice and sleek.   A 30 day warranty would certainly give me pause. 

On one hand, I much prefer the tactic of using a mobile device app to control an appliance over building a complex user interface into the appliance itself.  On the other hand, I'm not sure that this particular appliance is one that benefits from that sort of remote access.  I'm concerned that the limited manual buttons will require excessive use of the remote user interface.  If I check and decide that something needs 5 more minutes on convection or broil after the steam-bake time that I've entered, do I really need to get the phone and use my greasy, cooking fingers to add that setting to the little oven that's sitting right in front of me?  

My first thought was that it would be nice to program in cook cycle that would steam-bake for x minutes and then switch to broil for y minutes but the reality is that I'd prefer to check the food after the first phase and decide what additional cooking was most appropriate.

I thought it was interesting that several photos and videos on the Tavola Kickstarter page show the Cuisi steam oven being used in their "test kitchen" and apparently in their prototype development.  

I'm really curious to see what they do with this.  If you want to start your own, @rotuts-kickstarter xD to fund your continued participation in the Tavola scheme, I would contribute, knowing that you have a solid record in testing and reporting your carefully documented (lab notebook) results!