• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I grew up eating english muffins or cold cereal: Sugar Pops, Frosted Flakes, Rice Crispies, Chex and Trix...that generation. And yes, I did order sea monkeys once. Those individual perforated boxes were definitely a highlight of childhood. I just eat toast with marmalade now. My husband is a treasure trove of cereal memorabilia, mostly stories that revolve around squabbling siblings or intense study of the back of the box. He still eats a bowl of cereal every morning after several slices of toast. And he still leaves 2 tablespoons of cereal in the box so no one can accuse him of finishing it off.

This thread made me realize I haven't any idea what our millenial daughter does for breakfast, so I just quizzed her. She claims she actually eats cold cereal with milk and fruit once in a while, but typically she slaps together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and eats that when she gets to work. She says she ate a lot of oatmeal during her poverty stricken grad school years, since it was much cheaper than cold cereal. It really is amazing how much a box of cereal costs now.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I grew up eating english muffins or cold cereal: Sugar Pops, Frosted Flakes, Rice Crispies, Chex and Trix...that generation. And yes, I did order sea monkeys once. Those individual perforated boxes were definitely a highlight of childhood. I just eat toast with marmalade now. My husband is a treasure trove of cereal memorabilia, mostly stories that revolve around squabbling siblings or intense study of the back of the box. He still eats a bowl of cereal every morning after several slices of toast. And he still leaves 2 tablespoons of cereal in the box so no one can accuse him of finishing it off.

This thread made me realize I haven't any idea what our millenial daughter does for breakfast, so I just quizzed her. She claims she actually eats cold cereal with milk and fruit once in a while, but typically she slaps together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and eats that when she gets to work. She says she ate a lot of instant oatmeal during her college years, since it was much cheaper than cold cereal. It really is amazing how much a box of cereal costs now.