• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I'm in Northern Manhattan, and we're just starting to get a little wind.  I'm thinking:  unspecified soup in beef broth (I have a freezer somewhat overwhelmed with a whole lot of frozen beef broth); tacos with the fridge full of leftovers that I somehow rounded out this week with; and some chocolate-y oatmeal cookies I spied a recipe for recently.  In honesty, I really want cake; but I don't have any basis to expect this storm to otherwise disrupt next week's work schedule, and I need the cookies for my lunches next week.  So I guess I should take advantage of the chilly, and make the cookies.

I'm not supposed to be eating bread right now, but I admit that, also,  there is a rye-roll that I really want to make this weekend.  Specifically, I want to make it to go with ham sandwiches next week, since Murray's cheese was handing out these samples of somebody's "rosemary-ham", and the rosemary was astonishingly tasteful, not overpowering at all, and although I don't much eat sandwiches. . . well . . . .

Anyway.  I have [kinda] fond memories of my decade in hurricane country, where the power-outages were for real, and the prep was life-force analytical, and strategic.  In NYC, it's just not that likely that a blizzard is going to take down the power.  Man, does that make a difference in my imagination.  

Good luck to y'all, down the mid-Atlantic.   We're only getting a foot, and -- at least in the city -- our power lines are underground.  Hang in there.

SLB

SLB

I'm in Northern Manhattan, and we're just starting to get a little wind.  I'm thinking:  unspecified soup in beef broth (I have a freezer somewhat overwhelmed with a whole lot of frozen beef broth); tacos with the fridge full of leftovers that I somehow rounded out this week with; and some chocolate-y oatmeal cookies I spied a recipe for recently.  In honestly, I really want cake, but I don't have any basis to expect this storm to otherwise disrupt next week's work schedule, and I need the cookies for my lunches next week.  So I guess I should take advantage of the chilly.

I'm not supposed to be eating bread right now, but I admit that, also,  there is a rye-roll that I really want to make this weekend.  Specifically, I want to make it to go with ham sandwiches next week, since Murray's cheese was handing out these samples of somebody's "rosemary-ham", and the rosemary was astonishingly tasteful, not overpowering at all, and although I don't much eat sandwiches. . . well . . . .

Anyway.  I have [kinda] fond memories of my decade in hurricane country, where the power-outages were for real, and the prep was life-force analytical, and strategic.  In NYC, it's just not that likely that a blizzard is going to take down the power.  Man, does that make a difference in my imagination.  

Good luck to y'all, down the mid-Atlantic.   We're only getting a foot, and -- at least in the city -- our power lines are underground.  Hang in there.

SLB

SLB

I'm in Northern Manhattan, and we're just starting to get a little wind.  I'm thinking:  unspecified soup in beef broth (I have a freezer somewhere overwhelmed with a whole lot of frozen beef broth); tacos with the fridge full of leftovers that I somehow rounded out this week with; and some chocolate-y oatmeal cookies I spied a recipe for recently.  In honestly, I really want cake, but I don't have any basis to expect this storm to otherwise disrupt next week's work schedule, and I need the cookies for my lunches next week.  So I guess I should take advantage of the chilly.

SLB

SLB

I'm in Northern Manhattan, and we're just starting to get a little wind.  I'm thinking:  unspecified soup in beef broth (I have a freezer somewhere overwhelmed with a whole lot of frozen beef broth); tacos with the fridge full of leftovers that I somehow rounded out this week with; and some chocolate-y oatmeal cookies I spied a recipe for recently.  In honestly, I really want cake, but I don't have any basis to expect this storm to otherwise disrupt next week's work schedule, and I need the cookies for my lunches next week.  So I guess I should take advantage of the chilly.

Anyway.  I have [kinda] fond memories of my days in hurricane country, where the power-outages were for real, and the prep was life-force analytical, and strategic.  In NYC, it's just not that likely that a blizzard is going to take down the power.  Man, does that make a difference in my imagination.