• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swiss Meringue

Matthew Kirshner

Hi everyone,

just a quick question about swiss meringue,  since the sugar and egg whites are being cooked over a double boiler, is it really nessary to dry the piped pieces in a oven?  Could you possible just pipe and leave at room temp. overnight?

I only ask because I am making decor pieces for the buche de noel.   Any insight would be helpful with production work.

Matt

No expert here but the overnight thing isn't about cooking ... it is about drying - and quickly enough so you won't get any mold forming, I would guess. Do you have a dehydrator? That might work too if you want to free up your oven.

No expert here but the overnight thing isn't about cooking ... it is about drying - and quickly enough so you won't get any mold forming, I would guess. Do you have a dehydrator? That might work too if you want to free up your oven.

A dehydrator works really well actually. 125F for 8-10 hrs. does a nice job with smaller pieces.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi everyone,

just a quick question about swiss meringue,  since the sugar and egg whites are being cooked over a double boiler, is it really nessary to dry the piped pieces in a oven?  Could you possible just pipe and leave at room temp. overnight?

I only ask because I am making decor pieces for the buche de noel.   Any insight would be helpful with production work.

Matt

Cooking it over a water bath is more about dissolving the sugar and pasteurizing the whites.  You really need to bake/dehydrate them to get a crisp result.  Otherwise it'll just be like an Italian meringue, but with a leathery crust and no shelf life.