• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Personal Chef - looking for advice or guidance on new venture

Icanmakeit

I am currently accepting clients and while happy my love of cooking is possibly going to start paying me back - I'm looking for some advice or maybe 'tricks' to be wary of for the future.

One question: I've seen a "Personal Chef Course/Certificate" offered for around $300. While at first glance it kind of seems like BS but I'm not sure if it is or could it actually be helpful?

For the last couple of years I have been in and out of employment after losing a job I had for a long time (none of them food-related) and this new-ish venture is something I am really excited about.

Thanks you for any help or advice you may have.

ACF certification can be useful and is recognized throughout the industry, although many people do well without any certification.

Clients will expect some level of health department food handler card, I am beginning to see more and more ads asking for ServSafe certification or the management level FH cards. Some clients will also want to see some type of nutrition education. Some clients accept the classes used for ACF certification or culinary school degrees, others look for people with specialized nutrition degrees. (I live in Phoenix where a lot of personal chefs cooks for senior citizens on really specific diets, like diabetic plus no vitamin K.)

Check out any associations involved in food service / catering.

They will have a wealth of training and resources.

http://www.calrest.org/

As you invest in equipment, invest in back up equipment as well.

Think about what kind of  vehicle to properly transport the equipment and food.

Possibly work for a personal chef / caterer for a few months to learn the ropes.

Good luck.