• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Edited to add a comment about Phyllo

17 minutes ago, rustwood said:

What flour did you use?  I might have to try it.  A food truck near my work sells wonderful byrek and I have tried making them myself, but the dough is completely different.  I suspect this dough isn't exactly right either,  but it looks like it would be a lot closer than my previous attempt.

I used Robin Hood Best for Bread flour.  It has a protein content of 13.3% I believe. 

I suspect that if  byrek is anything like borek then you probably need something much closer to phyllo. 

Anna N

Anna N

17 minutes ago, rustwood said:

What flour did you use?  I might have to try it.  A food truck near my work sells wonderful byrek and I have tried making them myself, but the dough is completely different.  I suspect this dough isn't exactly right either,  but it looks like it would be a lot closer than my previous attempt.

I used Robin Hood Best for Bread flour.  It has a protein content of 13.3% I believe.