• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide 72 hours lamb shoulder (with bone)

Anonymous Modernist 2826

Hi, i have cooked 6 lamb shoulders with bone for 72 Hours at 56 C and the result was not that good... The meat was super tender and juicy and with the right pinkish color however there was a strange sent though.... Not sure if from the garlic that might have been trapped for too long? Or the rosemary that was a bit dry.... I only vacuum sealed the lamb with butter, garlic, bayleaf, rosemary and thym. What might have happened??

Six lamb shoulders seem a lot of meat to put in a bath... I've seen problems like that with overpacked bath, limited circulation or limited heating capacity. 15KG of cold meat in a 56C bath will probably bring parts of your bath under 50C for quite a long time if one of these thing happen. This will let bacteria to grow for some time at the beginning of your cooking and it will smell like garbage when you open the bag 72 hours later.... One way thaat could help you to prevent that is to overheat your bath to semething like 80C. Adjust the temperature to 56C when you put the meat in. Move your meat around the bath at the beginning so that no no bath is stuck between many other cold bags. The warm water will "pasteurize" the surface of the meat while the cold meat quickly bring the temperature of the bath down.

Good luck

Louis-Frederic

• 2 weeks later...