• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

So episode 231 (as noted by bybyrd) is the one I should listen to, VilleN, to hear all about Johnny Hunter's 3 day technique?

As for these shortened techniques, I have to wonder if the outcome is really the same even if the taste, colour (and perhaps even texture) is similar. According to the article mentioned upthread, the nutrient properties change drastically between 5 and 25 and (less so after) 90 days. I guess that may only matter if you care about something other than getting it done fast and/or being able to say one is including 'black garlic' in a special dish - and, I think I may care as much about the reasons it was 'invented' in the first place - which I think also included preservation and health aspects.

Deryn

Deryn

So episode 231 (as noted by bybyrd) is the one I should listen to, VilleN, to hear all about Johnny Hunter's 3 day technique?

As for these shortened techniques, I have to wonder if the outcome is really the same even if the taste, colour (and perhaps even texture) is similar. According to the article mentioned upthread, the nutrient properties change drastically between 5 and 25 and (less so after) 90 days. I guess that may only matter if you care about something other than getting it done fast and/or being able to say one is including 'black garlic' in a special dish - but, I think I may care as much about the reasons it was 'invented' in the first place - which I think also included preservation and health aspects.