• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultra Tex 3 vs. Ultra Sperse 3

Anonymous Modernist 602

According to the manufacturer

"National Starch recommends Ultra-Tex 3 where a very smooth and creamy, glossy texture is required. Ultra-Sperse 3 offers the same textural and taste benefits, combined with the additional benefit of exceptionally easy dispersion for instant applications without lumping."

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ultra+creamy+dairy+desserts.-a0110918012

Tell us how it works out

I tried Ultra Tex 3 and it did not work particularly well. Was very nice at low temperature, but when I heated to higher temperature for service, sauce thinned dramatically. Also (unrelated to thickeners), the recipe calls for way too much sage, IMO. Sage overwhelmed the sauce.

National Starch Company sent a free sample of Ultra-Sperse, and I look forward to trying that. Terra Spice also sells Ultra-Sperse, fyi.