• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

35 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Wow, I suppose if you gnawed the pan itself you might get 200 milligrams of tin before your teeth wore down to the gum line. 

Regarding the 351F "melting" temperature, Where are you getting 11nm tin powder?  Is anyone using it for lining cookware?  You can always fill a dredger with it to sprinkle on your food if you're trying to get your tummyache dose!

OK, back to the real world:  Don't eat canned tomatoes preserved in unlacquered tin cans that have been on the shelf for two years.  Or in stainless, BPA, Mylar, PTFE, aluminum or anything else.  Cooking in tinned copper is perfectly safe.

boilsover

boilsover

33 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Wow, I suppose if you gnawed the pan itself you might get 200 milligrams of tin before your teeth wore down to the gum line. 

Regarding the 351F "melting" temperature, Where are you getting 11nm tin powder?  Is anyone using it for lining cookware?  You can always fill a dredger with it to sprinkle on your food if you're trying to get your tummyache dose!

OK, back to the real world:  Don't eat canned tomatoes preserved in unlacquered tin cans that have been on the shelf for two years.  Or in stainless, BPA, Mylar, PTFE, aluminum or anything else...

boilsover

boilsover

31 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Wow, I suppose if you gnawed the pan itself you might get 200 milligrams of tin before your teeth wore down to the gum line.  Mind you this standard is 200 mg per kilo of body weight per day in perpetuity.  So (since I'm fat) my 100 kg mass could take, without gastric upset, 2 GRAMS PER DAY of tin.  x7x365xlifetime.

Regarding the 351F "melting" temperature, Where are you getting 11nm tin powder?  Is anyone using it for lining cookware?  You can always fill a dredger with it to sprinkle on your food if you're trying to get your 2g/day tummyache dose!

OK, back to the real world:  Don't eat canned tomatoes preserved in unlacquered tin cans that have been on the shelf for two years.  Or in stainless, BPA, Mylar, PTFE, aluminum or anything else...

boilsover

boilsover

16 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Wow, I suppose if you gnawed the pan itself you might get 200 milligrams of tin before your teeth wore down to the gum line.  Mind you this standard is 200 mg per kilo of body weight per day in perpetuity.  So (since I'm fat) my 100 kg mass could take, without gastric upset, 2 GRAMS PER DAY of tin.  x7x365xlifetime.

Regarding the 351F "melting" temperature, Where are you getting 11nm tin powder?  Is anyone using it for lining cookware?  You can always fill a dredger with it to sprinkle on your food if you're trying to get your 2g/day tummyache dose!

OK, back to the real world:  Don't eat canned tomatoes preserved in unlacquered tin cans that have been on the shelf for two years.  Or in stainless, Mylar, PTFE, aluminum or anything else...

boilsover

boilsover

1 minute ago, dcarch said:

OK, back to the real world:  Don't eat canned tomatoes preserved in unlacquered tin cans that have been on the shelf for two years.