• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

On 1/23/2016 at 8:51 AM, dcarch said:

At some point, tin melts at 351F.

Ummm, no.  Try 449.5F for pure tin. I hope you didn't give all your copper away because of that mistake.

And the melting temperature of a tin lining is substantially higher than that--all that is needed is something in the pan.  Roasting at 500F is not a problem.

I have actually (and accidentally) boiled tinned saucepans dry, one particular pan three times now.  One of those times, the pan was so hot it glowed.  While its tin was degraded to some degree, it did not destroy the lining.  It was hotter--and for longer--than some pans which I have destructively tested by overheating. 

Here's what happens to seriously overheated clad.  This pan's done.  With tinned copper, the worst case is you have it retinned.

Delaminated SS 1.jpg

boilsover

boilsover

On 1/23/2016 at 8:51 AM, dcarch said:

At some point, tin melts at 351F.

Ummm, no.  Try 449.5F for pure tin. I hope you didn't give all your copper away because of that mistake.

And the melting temperature of a tin lining is substantially higher than that--all that is needed is something in the pan.  Roasting at 500F is not a problem.

I have actually (and accidentally) boiled tinned saucepans dry, one particular pan three times now.  One of those times, the pan was so hot it glowed.  While its tin was degraded to some degree, it did not destroy the lining.  It was hotter--and for longer--than some pans which I have destructively tested by overheating. 

Here's what happens to clad when you seriously overheat clad.

Delaminated SS 1.jpg