• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme Brulee Inserts

Matthew Kirshner

I was planning to make some cakes with a crème brulee insert but I do not own the flexi mold for them.  I had an idea of baking the mixture in a 1/2 sheet pan then freezing.  After freezing I was going to use my mousse rings to cut out the dimensions I need.  Has anyone done this approach before or does anyone have any other methods I could try. 

Flexi molds are really expensive and I would not like to go down that path.

I was planning to make some cakes with a crème brulee insert but I do not own the flexi mold for them.  I had an idea of baking the mixture in a 1/2 sheet pan then freezing.  After freezing I was going to use my mousse rings to cut out the dimensions I need.  Has anyone done this approach before or does anyone have any other methods I could try. 

Flexi molds are really expensive and I would not like to go down that path.

Sounds delicious.  Could you explain a bit more what you mean by an "insert"?  Is it something like an additional layer of custard between two cake layers?

Sounds delicious.  Could you explain a bit more what you mean by an "insert"?  Is it something like an additional layer of custard between two cake layers?

Yes, it will be layered between either cake or mousse layers.  Also I was planning a large macaron disc with fresh raspberries around. 

If your sheet pan is flat enough, you can just pour the crème brûlée directly into the ring and bake it like that.  Less waste and no need to cut it out afterwards.

Although I have to say I haven't baked a brûlée layer for a cake in a long time.  I find gelatin easier to use and gives a very similar result if you don't use too much. Failing that, a crémeux is a very good, easy-to-manipulate layer for an entremet, and has the advantage of being a little lighter in texture.

When I do crème brulee as an insert, I have a recipe that incorporates a bit of white chocolate, agar and gelatin. It's cooked stovetop instead of being baked and will set to the texture of a baked crème brulee. The benefit to it is that you get the flavor and get extremely close to texture of a traditional crème brulee that is very stable even at room temp once set. I use something more traditional for serving an actual crème brulee but as an insert it works great.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

When I do crème brulee as an insert, I have a recipe that incorporates a bit of white chocolate, agar and gelatin. It's cooked stovetop instead of being baked and will set to the texture of a baked crème brulee. The benefit to it is that you get the flavor and get extremely close to texture of a traditional crème brulee that is very stable even at room temp once set. I use something more traditional for serving an actual crème brulee but as an insert it works great.

I am curious, with your method, would you be willing to share your formula? 

I am curious, with your method, would you be willing to share your formula? 

Apologies for the slow reply, completely forgot to check back on this discussion. The recipe I use originated from the D.C. Duby website but they appear to have left that section out when they did the redesign. This is the recipe I have in my notes but I'm absolutely certain the original recipe on the site used less sugar and made up for it with the addition of some white chocolate. I'm just not sure what the amounts were. The custard will set at room temp but I chill it in the fridge.

250 g cream

125 g milk

1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

115 g egg yolks

85 g sugar

2 g agar powder

1 g sheet gelatine

Hydrate gelatin. Heat cream with vanilla pod. Whisk sugar, yolks and vanilla pulp over hot water to thick and pale. Blitz agar into milk, add to cream and bring just to a boil. Dissolve gelatine into hot cream mixture, whisk into hot yolk mixture and strain into mold.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.