• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daily Nihongo (2005 - )

torakris

9/24:

鮭のホイル焼き

sake no hoiru-yaki

Hoiru is the Japanese word for tin foil, this is a dish of salmon and various vegetables cooked in a foil packet. Any vegetable can be used but the most common seem to be mushrooms and onions.

sake no hoiru-yaki

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

9/26:

さけの缶詰   サケの缶詰

sake no kanzume

canned salmon

Most commonly you will find the karafuto (pink) salmon in cans but there is a wide variety of canned salmon in Japan.

sake no kanzume

scroll down to see some of the variety

Sorry for being away from this thread for so long...

I have been working on doing some major cleaning of the Japan forum, you will notice many threads have been merged and cleaned up (dead links etc) to make for easier reading.

Also starting tomorrow I will be part of the tag team blog with snowangel and the Daily Nihongo will be on hold until that is over.

Then we will continue with masu. :biggrin:

The blog starts here.

• 2 months later...

I didn't realize I had ignored this thread for so long! :shock:

I had been focusing my attentions on China and Australia, but now that they no longer need my help I can focus on Japan again.

Since it has been so long let's start where we left off.

12/7:

マス

masu

trout

12/9:

サーモントラウト / トラウトサーモン

saamontorauto / torautosaamon

salmon trout / trout salmon

salmon trout

This is a subspecies of the rainbow trout and can be found by both of the above names in Japan.

salmon trout

Is it close to what we call "Steelhead" in the Northwest?
This is a subspecies of the rainbow trout and can be found by both of the above names in Japan.

salmon trout

From what I can find from Japanese sources, the salmon trout of Japan is a cross between the rainbow trout and the brown trout. The steelhead is a rainbow trout but one that tends to be larger and it also spends its entire adult life in the ocean, though it will return to fresh water to spawn. When you see the name steelhead in Japnese it is always followed (or preceded) by 降海型 (koukaigata) nijimasu, or essentially ocean living nijimasu.

12/11:

サクラマス

sakura masu

Cherry trout

This is a species, related to the rainbow trout, native to Asia. Some subspecies include the amago (アマゴ), yamame (ヤマメ), biwamasu (ビワマス) and satsukimasu (サツキマス). You will not most likely run across these fish for sale in supermarkets but may encounter them on fishing trips :biggrin: or maybe in restaurants on the banks of the rivers that they run in.

If you really want to learn a little more, click here

12/12:

小袖すし

kosode sushi

Kosode is a type of kimono that has very narrow sleeves and this is what the name literally means "small sleeves". This type of sushi has the fish partly wrapped around the rice sort of the way the kimono sleeve would wrap around the wrist.

nijimasu no kosode sushi

and if you are interested in learning more about the kimono or want to see a picture, look here.

12/13:

ムニエル

munieru (moo-knee-eh-rhue)

This is the Japanese pronunciation of the French word meuniere, the technique of coated fish in flour then sauteing in butter and serving it with lemon. This technique is popular in Japan as well and masu (specifically nijimasu) is a fish that particularly takes to this preparation.

Other western style preparations are commonly used with trout sush as frying, simple butter sauteeing and cooking in foil/parchment.

nijimasu no munieru

Like I mentioned before, most varieties of trout you will not find in your supermarket or even on menus outside of the local fishing areas. Here are some more trout you may run across in Japan especially if you enjoy fishing.

iwana イワナ

lake trout  レイクトラウト

brown trout ブラウントラウト

yukimasu ユキマス

12/22:

たたきごの寿司 

tatakigo no sushi

This is like a oshi (pressed) sushi made with eso. Different from other sushi types though the eso is first cooked with seasonings (soy, sake, mirin) before being pressed into the rice. This is a speciality of Wakayama.

tatakigo no sushi (first picture)

I know I started it back up again but the Daily Nihongo will be on a brief hiatus as the Yamaguchi family takes off for Bali.

I will be back the second week of January.

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

and don't forget to check out the Elsewhere in Asia forum for pictures of some of my meals....

• 3 weeks later...

I have been offline for a couple days with a really bad cold, but I am feeling better and it is time to get back to fish!

1/21:

あんこう

ankou

monkfish, anglerfish, goosefish

ankou

1/22:

Though it is a huge family there are only two main kinds of anglerfish that are eaten in Japan.

キアンコウ kiankou or yellow goosefish

クツアンコウ kutsuanko or black mouth goosefish

Kianko are by far more popular and when a package is simply labeled ankou it can be assumed this is the one you are enjoying.

1/23:

七つ道具

nanatsu dougu

This translates as the "7 tools". The Japanese often say about ankou that there is no part you can't eat and these 7 tools are the 7 parts that should never be thrown away. They are the flesh, skin, liver, stomach, ovaries, fins and gills.

This shows how to cut up ankou and what the 7 tools are, click on the picture to see it better.