• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi

Pedro45

Hello,

I just joined and am mostly interested in the pastry forums. I am not a trained pastry chef but I am trying to start my own cookie business. I have been baking for years and am mostly self-taught, so I am hoping the professionals here will be kind! I have some particular questions about chocolate tempering as I need it for one cookie I am hoping to sell and am having a lot of trouble with it. Mostly, the chocolate wins. Also, I am looking for advice on starting food businesses in general, as this will be my first foray. And I hope I can also add to any discussions, as well as learn from others

I grew up and live in the Boston area, as any Red Sox fan can tell by my user name.

• Like 1

Pedro,

Welcome to eG.  It's been my experience that most of the pastry professionals are kind here, most of the time.  

Check out the index - lots of topics on chocolate tempering to be found.  The Pastry and Baking Index assembled by gfron1 contains links to all sorts of useful pastry and baking topics.   

The Pastry and Baking Index assembled by gfron1 contains links to all sorts of useful pastry and baking topics.   

Yep. That index and the information it connects to could be assembled into a book and run with or replace many/most of the teaching texts I've seen... and it's free.

Welcome Pedro45.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.