• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Regina3000

Regina3000

typo

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

I hope you'll show the results! That must be a pretty big smoker, to take all that at once. I'm in the market, maybe, for a new smoker, so I'd be interested to know more about the smoker itself as well as the results.

I will, when it's done! It's a new-to-me Brinkmann vertical charcoal water smoker, one of the boxy kind. I've never used a charcoal smoker before, so it's been a learning experience.

I've had issues keeping the temperature up to 200 F. I think that we're going to ditch the OEM charcoal pan and find or make a deep rectangular one that I can load up with charcoal and wood á la Minion, even thought it's not a WSM.

I put the meat in the smoker at 5 minutes to 8 this morning, and at 5 after 10 tonight, one still hadn't gotten above 138 (bone-in) and the other not above 149 (boneless), so I pulled them out of the smoker and put them in the oven at 250 F. I put them on a rack in a half sheet pan. Strangely enough, about half an hour later, they haven't gone up in temperature at all. I'll keep an eye on them for another half an hour before I start to freak out.

Regina3000

Regina3000

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

I hope you'll show the results! That must be a pretty big smoker, to take all that at once. I'm in the market, maybe, for a new smoker, so I'd be interested to know more about the smoker itself as well as the results.

I will, when it's done! It's a new-to-me Brinkmann vertical charcoal water smoker, one of the boxy kind. I've never used a charcoal smoker before, so it's been a learning experience.

I've had issues keeping the temperature up to 200 F. I think that we're going to ditch the OEM charcoal pan and find or make a deep rectangular one that I can load up with charcoal and wood á la Minion, even thought it's not a WSM.

I put the meat in the smoker at 5 minutes to 8 this morning, and at 5 after 10 tonight, one still hadn't gotten above 138 (bone-in) and the other not above 149 (bineless), so I pulled them out of the smoker and put them in the oven at 250 F. I put them on a rack in a half sheet pan. Strangely enough, about half an hour later, they haven't gone up in temperature at all. I'll keep an eye on them for another half an hour before I start to freak out.