Jump to content

Regina3000

participating member
  • Content count

    17
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. Thanks, everyone! I will move the thing to a different container, next time, and add water to the cooler full of blue ice. I didn't think about the water part, and frankly didn't want to deal with the container-changing, plus I was in a hurry to be somewhere. Next time, I'll be better prepared.
  2. Didn't think of filling with water, and didn't have another container to put it into, at the time, but thanks for the ideas!
  3. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to get ideas on cooling a boneless pork shoulder quickly. I put one in a crock pot, the other day, and when it was finished, I wanted to chill it before removing the fat and whatever else. I find it easier to do that when the meat is cold. I left the crock out on the cold stove for an hour or two to cool down, but needed it to get much colder before sticking it in the fridge. I was at a loss. I finally ended up lining an Igloo cooler with blue ice blocks and putting the crock in there, with blue ice blocks on the lid, too. It cooled down to room-ish temperature within another hour, and the blue ice was still frozen. I did not measure the internal temperature of the roast. Perhaps I should have. In any case, it's going to be reheated before we eat on it, so I'm not too worried. I probably should have transferred the whole thing to a non-ceramic dish, which would have helped, but other than that, I have no good ideas.
  4. Ok, it's been well over 48 hours (I think), and I'm still feeling as well as I normally do. Regina
  5. An Overload of Eggs

    I will. Thanks!
  6. An Overload of Eggs

    This was cool, and I really liked the way she separated the yolks.
  7. Good to know! I'd also like to know whether you ate it. And how long past the sell-by date was it?
  8. Oh, I understand that, and know that botulism, for instance, doesn't smell or taste "off." But the cheesemaker article indicating that puffed packages can be caused by bacteria starter adjuncts fermenting citric acid made me think (hope) that this was the case, and not botulism. So I took a chance. So far, so good.
  9. Well, this is a 2-pound chunk, which cost considerably more than the Wal-Mart size, but besides that, there are several other things that make me want to know how good it is. One, I was (and remain) unable to go get more, at this point, for various reasons (which are personal to me, but nonetheless insurmountable, for the moment). Two, I am actually curious as to whether the cheese is still good because in the future I might choose to buy more, when circumstances allow, and CHOOSE to keep it for an extended period of time, still wrapped, before opening it. My income is not regular (I work for myself), and I like to buy things when I am able and stock up for leaner times. Three, I waste enough food, as it is (most of us do, I think), but this seemed a good candidate for using what I have, rather than just throwing it out without investigating. I would definitely not drink soured milk or eat anything that had gone moldy, or even consider eating from a can of food that had started to bulge. However, hard cheese appeared to me to be perhaps the safest thing to last a long, long time without being unsafe. I do understand that I don't know what made this package puff up, but based on some research I did, it seemed reasonable enough to me to take a chance. We will see whether that chance was a bad one to take in a few days. I believe many food poisoning microbes take anywhere from 12-48 hours to do their dirty work.
  10. Thanks for that. When I made the grilled cheese sandwich, I also ate a bit that flaked off when I sliced a bit off the hunk. It definitely tasted good. I'm encouraged.
  11. Unfortunately, no. The superpower I'd like to develop, if the puffy-package cheese gods are listening, is the ability to accomplish two things at once, in different locations.
  12. Very cool story. Thanks!
  13. Like I said above, no one here would touch it with a ten-foot pole if I brought it home from the store this morning. The other half of this household likes mild cheese. The milder, the better. So no worries, there. Other than that, I'm still ok!
  14. I've had salmonella poisoning before. While camping. With pit toilets a good long walk away. Talk about not fun. However, after reading the sites I posted above, I took a chance and made a grilled cheese sandwich with a small slice of this and a piece of Havarti. It tasted fine. Lots of tartrate crystals on the surface and inside the cheese, and the cheese is very crumbly. No one else, here, likes sharp cheese, so no one else would touch it with a ten-foot pole even if it wasn't suspect. I will report back on Monday (if I remember) if I'm still not sick. Thanks, everyone! Regina
×