• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ProfessionalHobbit

ProfessionalHobbit

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I can understand part of the appeal of these prepped meal kits in NYC after having seen some photos on here of teeny tiny kitchens with nonexistent counter space for those who would still like to cook at home. Also if you live in an area without a vehicle to transport groceries where public transportation is laughable or doesn't exist, like I do, then I can see a demand. Otherwise, not so much. I wish them well, though, and hope their efforts can be profitable and fill a niche for the small demographic they're aiming for. I would not invest in these ventures, personally, though.

I used to live in one of those teeny tiny apartments in Manhattan with hobbit-sized kitchens with nonexistent counter space, and managed to turn out multi-course dinners multiple times a week for years.  It's just a matter of being organized and adapting.

BTW, there's a place where those kitchens exist en masse and whose citizens have endured their living conditions for years long before the advent of meal kits.  It's called "Japan".  

ProfessionalHobbit

ProfessionalHobbit

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I can understand part of the appeal of these prepped meal kits in NYC after having seen some photos on here of teeny tiny kitchens with nonexistent counter space for those who would still like to cook at home. Also if you live in an area without a vehicle to transport groceries where public transportation is laughable or doesn't exist, like I do, then I can see a demand. Otherwise, not so much. I wish them well, though, and hope their efforts can be profitable and fill a niche for the small demographic they're aiming for. I would not invest in these ventures, personally, though.

I used to live in one of those teeny tiny apartments in Manhattan with hobbit-sized kitchens with nonexistent counter space, and managed to turn out multi-course dinners multiple times a week for years.   There are photos 

BTW, there's a place where those kitchens exist en masse and whose citizens have endured their living conditions for years long before the advent of meal kits.  It's called "Japan".