• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Macchi

"Los Postres de El Bulli"

I know I'm way late to the party, but does anyone have a copy of Los Postres De El Bulli that they would be willing to sell or knowledge of where to find one? Thanks!

Depends. How much is it worth to you?

Natura, Albert's newer one (in English, even) is a mere $200 on Amazon.

Thanks! I was fortunate enough to get Natura for christmas a few years back. Just looking for Los Postres. I know its basically impossible but I'll never stop looking!

I would spend a pretty penny to get it

Well I have it and like it. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

I have a copy mint condition (i never opened the book !) for sale :) 

please pn offers as i dont know to value it.

There is only one "Los Postres de El Bulli" :) and as I said i never opened it !

22 hours ago, Mjx said:

Does this book include that dessert that looks like an apricot?

I think that's Natura.  Los Postres desserts are more traditional in the sense of main componenet + sauce + side + garnish.  Natura is more minimalist and tromp l' oeil.

3 hours ago, Mjx said:

Thanks! Does it kind of overlap Migoya's Elements of Dessert?

I sold my copy of Natura so I can't really say.  Migoya has a very clean, modern presentation and does get kind of minimal, but I think he is less modernist in terms of ingredients and less abstract.  Natura does try to re-create nature in delicious piles of dirt and flower petal and such.  I haven't tried cooking anything as written from any of the books, but Migoya seems more approachable, with fewer so-called 'molecular' ingredients like ultratex and maltodextrin.  Here is a video about Natura:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QV9cBP1ox4

And here is Migoya's blog:  http://www.thequenelle.com/

On 14/5/2016 at 10:51 PM, Mjx said:

Does this book include that dessert that looks like an apricot?

I gave a look to both "Los Postres de el Bulli" and "Natura", there isn't any dessert that looks like an apricot.

I suppose you ate it at the restaurant, if you remember the year then it must be on the elBulli book of that year. I have 1994-1997, 1998-2002 and 2005-2011, so I can give a look there (I still haven't bought 2003-2004 so if it was one of those 2 years then I can't help).

"Natura" has state of the art modern plated desserts, you can't get any better than that. As PastryGirl wrote, the style is a bit different than Migoya. Migoya is more geometrical and abstract, Adrià (on "Natura") tends to recreate natural sights with dessert components (like a woodland, algae and so on). Each dessert has a lot of components (6-8 on average), the difficulty level is quite high (as is for Migoya). You need an ice-cream machine, almost all desserts have an ice-cream; and a syphon of course. You need access to a lot of special ingredients (modernist stuff, exotic things like shiso, essential oils and so on).

Ah, a peculiar thing: the book is only photos, the recipes are in a CD-ROM included in the book.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

• Similar Content

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

• By K8CanCook
      Update!! --- the sale is still going on at Amazon as of Sunday (11/24) at 11:15am EST
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone note the sale price on Modernist Cuisine today (maybe yesterday)? Amazon and Target dropped the set of tomes to $379!!!

This price looks like it will change after today...so get it ASAP!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0982761007?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=SRFCHFB5EFTGAA8AZHJX
      -or-
      https://www.target.com/p/modernist-cuisine-by-nathan-myhrvold-chris-young-maxime-bilet-hardcover/-/A-77279948
    • By Bollo
      I need a book on the application of rotavapor machine. I've searched something on web but i can't find something strictly professional for the kitchen please help me. To improve the research. 
    • By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Shelby
      Thanks to @blue_dolphin, I was forced to buy this cookbook  and it was delivered today.  No matter how hard I try, I just don't super enjoy cookbooks on my Kindle.  Anyway, I'll most likely be alone on this thread due to low okra likability lol, but I'm an only child and I'm used to being alone 😁

First on the list will be the Kimchi Okra from page 100--as suggested by @blue_dolphin.

I'll be back on this thread soon