• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal neck

boudin noir

I've got some nice veal neck and I would like to do something other that the usual veal stews. Any suggestions?

A ragu? Maybe combined with some pork shoulder, even.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

If it is all in one piece I would lean towards using a recipe for the classic stuffed breast of veal in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. A different cut but with the same unctuousness I imagine. Not sure which volume as it has been eons since I made it.

I'd pack some nice stuffing between the bones and the neck, then roast it hard, and introduce some steam at the last hour or so...sealed, of course...

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...