• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canning seafood

Patrick Gilmartin

I am looking into trying to can my own seafood packed in oils and wines much in the fashion seen in coastal Spain. It seems as though there is no information available about how to go about this. Now, I understand using a pressure canner, but are there other things I should watch out for? Given that everything is packed correctly and sealed at the usda recommended pressures and times, am I missing anything else before diving right in?

Here in the US, home canning in oil or fat (or even adding oil or fat beyond what's specifically called for in a tested recipe) isn't recommended (as per the extension services mostly...Cornell and Penn State in my area) in any thing other than recipes that are officially tested for safety because added fats and oils have a tendency to insulate pathogens from the heat of a home canner. The rule applies to both pressure canning - which is essential when canning low-acid foods such as fish and seafood - and boiling water bath canning.

Having said that, there are some folks who ignore the warnings and take the risk.

IIRC, there is a tested recipe for tuna canned in oil in the USDA's Complete Guide to Home Canning.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!