• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So I am quite prepared to show my foolishness to the world. It has never occurred to me that one might choose to eat tamarind for itself. My only knowledge of it comes from recipes where it is used as a flavouring agent. I used to purchase it in blocks much like you can purchase dates. 

When tamarind is used in much cooking, it is often to bring a bitterness (not always a bad thing) to often southern Asian cuisine and is made from green, immature fruit. As it matures, it become sweeter, while maintaining a sweet and sour flavour.

The only blocks I've seen have been made from unripe pods.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So I am quite prepared to show my foolishness to the world. It has never occurred to me that one might choose to eat tamarind for itself. My only knowledge of it comes from recipes where it is used as a flavouring agent. I used to purchase it in blocks much like you can purchase dates. 

When tamarind is used in much cooking, it is often to bring a bitterness (not always a bad thing) to often southern Asian cuisine is made from green, immature fruit. As it matures, it become sweeter, while maintaining a sweet and sour flavour.

The only blocks I've seen have been made from unripe pods.