• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What wine goes with prime rib?

CWahl

Prime Rib as we serve it in the U.S. is really derivitive of British roast beef. And the Brits drink claret (Bordeaux) Old claret for that matter which I happen to think is the perfect match for prime rib.

Steve, I agree. Of course you have to be very old to have old claret. :biggrin: We enjoyed one with our Christmas rib roast. It was a perfect compliment to the beefy, rich, aged meat with a pungent jus.

You wouldn't believe it but the Host/Hostess has decided, that since children will be at the party, it will be non-alcoholic. You'd think that they would have figured that out before hand. :hmmm:

If there's no alcohol, I hope there's a helluva a lot of horseradish.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I'm beginning to think that my Mother was the one who decided against the booze, for what I have no idea. :huh:

The Host/Hostess greeted us at the door with glasses of wine and shots of Raspberry di Amori-which was very delightful! I had never heard of it before and it tasted divine. I must get some for myself!

We had a wonderful time, just wonderful and were home in time to ring in the New Year with just our 4 year old daughter.

Cheers everyone! :laugh: