• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, blbst36 said:

Questions: what do I do with the fig jam?  Does it go on the cheese or do I eat it alone?  

You can do whatever you like with the fig jam.  I like to put a bit of cheese on some bread or a cracker and drizzle just a bit of the jam over the top.  If that's too messy, you can certainly spread the jam on the cracker or bread. I also like to have a savory spread in addition to the sweet - so maybe an interesting mustard or tapenade in addition to your fig jam.

Is pineapple a good accompaniment fruit?  Or should I stick with grapes?

In my opinion, pineapple is not the best accompaniment.  For fresh fruit, I would prefer any berries, grapes or wedges of ripe pear or apple but you should go with what you love.  I am told some people like pineapple on pizza :D

What about dried blueberries?

I am not the biggest fan of dried blueberries because they look like shriveled little stones, but again, use what you love.  Dried apricots are good if you have some plump, pretty ones and dates are also nice. 

What kind of meat?  I don't like prosciutto raw (please put down the pitchforks!), but I want something a bit fancier than the summer sausage I usually eat with cheese.  Would salami be good?  Maybe one of those logs you slice yourself?

Yes, salami is a good choice.  Sopressata or pepperoni are also nice.  A log you slice yourself is nice, although I recommend pre-slicing it before you arrange it on the platter.  I also recommend pre-slicing at least some of the cheese.  You don't want it to dry out but I've found people are much more likely to pick up a pre-cut piece and less likely to make a mess of the whole wedge if you give them a starting point.

Would you add any other nuts?  Or are the almonds enough? 

A small variety of nuts is nice but the Marcona almonds are always a treat and it's fine to go with just one. 

I always like to add some pickle-y things like cornichons, olives, pickled peppers, etc.  

What do you drink with it if you can't have wine?  Water and food is not good to me.

I like water and food but if you don't, they you should drink whatever you do enjoy with food.  A cider would be a good alternative to wine.  Or sparkling water with a splash of a fruit vinegar or shrub.  

Your cheesemonger selected 3 mild cow's milk cheeses with similar textures.  Sounds like that is what you'd like for this platter so that's perfect.  For your next round with more adventurous cheeses, consider trying some with more variation in texture (soft vs hard), flavor (mild vs sharp) and milk type (cow, sheep, goat).  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

34 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

Questions: what do I do with the fig jam?  Does it go on the cheese or do I eat it alone?  

You can do whatever you like with the fig jam.  I like to put a bit of cheese on some bread or a cracker and drizzle just a bit of the jam over the top.  If that's too messy, you can certainly spread the jam on the cracker or bread.

56 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

Is pineapple a good accompaniment fruit?  Or should I stick with grapes?

In my opinion, pineapple is not the best accompaniment.  For fresh fruit, I would prefer any berries, grapes or wedges of ripe pear or apple but you should go with what you love.  I am told some people like pineapple on pizza :D

57 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

What about dried blueberries?

I am not the biggest fan of dried blueberries because they look like shriveled little stones, but again, use what you love.  Dried apricots are good if you have some plump, pretty ones and dates are also nice. 

58 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

What kind of meat?  I don't like prosciutto raw (please put down the pitchforks!), but I want something a bit fancier than the summer sausage I usually eat with cheese.  Would salami be good?  Maybe one of those logs you slice yourself?

Yes, salami is a good choice.  Sopressata or pepperoni are also nice.  A log you slice yourself is nice, although I recommend pre-slicing it before you arrange it on the platter.  I also recommend pre-slicing at least some of the cheese.  You don't want it to dry out but I've found people are much more likely to pick up a pre-cut piece and less likely to make a mess of the whole wedge if you give them a starting point.

58 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

Would you add any other nuts?  Or are the almonds enough? 

A small variety of nuts is nice but the Marcona almonds are always a treat and it's fine to go with just one. 

I always like to add some pickle-y things like cornichons, olives, pickled peppers, etc.  I also like to have a savory spread in addition to the sweet - so maybe an interesting mustard or tapenade in addition to your fig jam.

59 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

What do you drink with it if you can't have wine?  Water and food is not good to me.

I like water and food but if you don't, they you should drink whatever you do enjoy with food.  A cider would be a good alternative to wine.  Or sparkling water with a splash of a fruit vinegar or shrub.  

Your cheesemonger selected 3 mild cow's milk cheeses with similar textures.  Sounds like that is what you'd like for this platter so that's perfect.  For your next round with more adventurous cheeses, consider trying some with more variation in texture (soft vs hard), flavor (mild vs sharp) and milk type (cow, sheep, goat).