• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

21 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I haven't looked at this thread at all until today because I have become enlightened about Parmesan cheese aging.  

I was reading the "larder" portion of The Del Posto cookbook about the different ages of Parmesan........NOW I understand.......a couple of years ago we were in Oregon or perhaps it was Washington state and had a wonderful dinner at a small family run Italian restaurant.  Everything we had was exception including the grated Parmesan they served.  I just could not get over how good it was, like no other Parmesan I had ever had.....I put it down to how fresh and moist it was.  But now I think I was served an aged Parmesan.

So, if you don't already know this there are four ages with different names, from Del Posto:

Giovane is a minimum of 12 months
Vecchio is more than 24 months
Stravecchio is minimum of 36 months
Stravecchione is extra mature at least 48 months

I am going to try and track some of these ages down but I'm not that hopeful seeing we live in the sticks :=((

Has anyone experience with these ages?

I have. Trader Joe's sells both the Vecchio and the Stravecchio. I prefer the latter.

And I've tried them all while in Italy, but my preferences depended on the type of milk/cow (red cow), season, rather than just the age of the cheese. 

Here is a good article explaining the differences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/26/dining/to-every-parmigiano-a-season.html

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I haven't looked at this thread at all until today because I have become enlightened about Parmesan cheese aging.  

I was reading the "larder" portion of The Del Posto cookbook about the different ages of Parmesan........NOW I understand.......a couple of years ago we were in Oregon or perhaps it was Washington state and had a wonderful dinner at a small family run Italian restaurant.  Everything we had was exception including the grated Parmesan they served.  I just could not get over how good it was, like no other Parmesan I had ever had.....I put it down to how fresh and moist it was.  But now I think I was served an aged Parmesan.

So, if you don't already know this there are four ages with different names, from Del Posto:

Giovane is a minimum of 12 months
Vecchio is more than 24 months
Stravecchio is minimum of 36 months
Stravecchione is extra mature at least 48 months

I am going to try and track some of these ages down but I'm not that hopeful seeing we live in the sticks :=((

Has anyone experience with these ages?

I have. Trader Joe's sells both the Vecchio and the Stravecchio. I prefer the latter.

And I've tried them all while in Italy, but my preferences depended on the type of milk/cow (red cow), season, rather than the age of the cheese. 

Here is a good article explaining the differences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/26/dining/to-every-parmigiano-a-season.html