• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Timely topic, thanks!  Yesterday I received ten pounds of Tilda Basmati.  How best to store it, given that I have a capacious bedroom but no container large enough?

Brown rice I typically detest.  However not too long ago I cooked up a batch Ranch Gordo from the bean club using the Zojirushi.  The Rancho Gordo was not bad but there is so much non-brown rice I like better.

The partially milled Japanese brown rices I get from The Rice Factory are the best brown rices I've ever had - and they cook perfectly in the rice cooker.  (These are not the brown rices of my misspent youth in Santa Barbara, shopping at health food stores, and trying to ignore the scent of lentils and whatever else they were badly cooking. Anyone who shopped in health food stores back in the 70s knows the smells I'm referring to - curried lentils - blech! And as George Carlin once noted, how come everyone shopping in those health food stores looks so damn uhealthy?)

I go for 50% milled on the brown, but you can go even higher (or lower, actually).  Key is really washing the rice well before cooking, and don't forget to adjust water quantity based on how much water clings to the washed rice! That's why I find using the scale when cooking rice to be helpful, but the water lines in the Zojurishi are pretty darn accurate.

I usually "decant" a Mason jars worth of rice from the bigger bags, and vacuum pack the remainder until needed. White rice goes off, but nowhere near as quickly as brown.

weinoo

weinoo

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Timely topic, thanks!  Yesterday I received ten pounds of Tilda Basmati.  How best to store it, given that I have a capacious bedroom but no container large enough?

Brown rice I typically detest.  However not too long ago I cooked up a batch Ranch Gordo from the bean club using the Zojirushi.  The Rancho Gordo was not bad but there is so much non-brown rice I like better.

The partially milled Japanese brown rices I get from The Rice Factory are the best brown rices I've ever had - and they cook perfectly in the rice cooker.  (These are not the brown rices of my misspent youth in Santa Barbara, shopping at health food stores, and trying to ignore the scent of lentils and whatever else they were badly cooking.)

I go for 50% milled on the brown, but you can go even higher (or lower, actually).  Key is really washing the rice well before cooking, and don't forget to adjust water quantity based on how much water clings to the washed rice! That's why I find using the scale when cooking rice to be helpful, but the water lines in the Zojurishi are pretty darn accurate.

I usually "decant" a Mason jars worth of rice from the bigger bags, and vacuum pack the remainder until needed. White rice goes off, but nowhere near as quickly as brown.