• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramels with habenero

kitt

Hello! I recently purchased a vial of habanero extract and want to make habanero caramels. The extract did not come with instructions. Any thoughts on how many drops of extract would be needed for a standard size caramel recipe (for home use) ? I also have habanero powder but thought the extract might be better for caramels. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much in advance!

Marlene

Pepper extract strength can vary widely. I think you're going to need to experiment on this one. Perhaps make small batches of sugar syrup first--you can test the extract's strength drop by drop. Then you won't be wasting all your efforts on a caramel that becomes inedibly hot.

• 2 months later...

Last summer I decided to throw some freshly-minced habanero into hot sugar for some "hot" caramels. 5 seconds after the chili hit the sugar, everyone ran from the room crying and coughing! Let's just say the fumes were a tad over the top. We vent our kitchen to the front sidewalk so potential customers will be drawn in by the chocolatey smells; I'm surprised they didn't have to evacuate the street.

When all was said and done, the habanero caramels were one of the most wonderful tasting things I've ever made, but I'm not sure I'll make the attempt again :-)

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com