• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using up frozen meat

pep.

If they have been vacuumed, there will be no rancidity - fats need oxygen to go rancid. I don't see any reason to not use them.

Yes, but there is always some residual oxygen in a vacuum bag and over time, even that may cause some rancidity. To not waste fresh ingredients, I'll fry up and taste a small sliver of the frozen meats before using them.

as long as it looks good, the bag is still sealed, and once you thawed it it doesn't have "freezer smell" to it, use it. I tend to use things lie that in more robust ways, bbq, stir fry, something with lots of extra flavors, just in case the meat isn't at it's glorious best anymore. But I've used meat that was frozen for a quite long time with no ill effects and could not find any flavor problems either.

Definitely don't throw it out until you thawed it. If really in doubt do as stated above and fry up a small piece, and cut off freezer burn if you find some.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Smelled normal after thawing, no freezer burn that I could see. Used a bit of beef to bolster the venison I used to make the red wine glaze from MCaH. This I've already tasted (well, the glaze) - completely normal.

The rest (some more beef, two duck breasts) I've ground up with pâté spices to make a pâté de campagne. It's waiting in the freezer for Wednesday, I didn't have the energy to finish the pâté yesterday evening.

11 - Fleischwolf.jpg

1 - Fertige Glace.jpg

As others have said I would check for signs of rancidity but wouldn't have any problems using the meat. I wouldn't use them for a pate personally (or other dishes that rely on high quality for best results). I would use them for stocks (pressure cooked) or other high heat processes to extract their meaty goodness.

I'd use it without hesitation--I vacuum seal all our venison and wild boar, and have never had a problem with it. As long as the seal has held, and there is no evidence of freezer burn, it should be just fine. In fact, after cleaning out my freezer last week, I found a perfectly sealed, vacuum-packed venison boned ham from 2003 (!) and pressure-cooked it with wine, garlic and other goodies. Tasted just fine, and none of us have died yet from it. :biggrin:

I will note that I did throw out some things whose seal had failed, and showed extensive freezer burn. Sometimes those are just not worth saving.

Leigh

Edited by aberwacky (log)