• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with mochi

brokenscale

Does anyone have any experience making it. The dough at the store in the premade one is elastic, soft, and chewy. Im not sure if the ice cream version is supposed to be made different, but i made my mango sorbet shaped it and froze it hard. Then made my dough and cooked it stove top but it kept needing more water and even then it wasnt an elastic dough at all. Anyone have a reliable stovetop recipe, not a microwave version. And some trouble shooting tips to getting the dough stretched thin. I did some in the rational with sweetened azuki bean paste that turned out great. However I am more interested in the ice cream version.

Take a look at the discussions here:

forums.egullet.org/index.php/topic/80453-making-mochi-ozoni/

and here:

forums.egullet.org/index.php/topic/140629-pounding-mochi-in-a-kitchenaid-mixer/

Regarding the glutinous rice flour, please attach a picture, since there are plenty of brands in white boxes (there's no way of knowing where you are located--Asia? EU?--and it may be packaged differently in diffferent countries).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

mochi for ice cream has additives in it to keep it soft at freezer tempertures. Try looking on the ingredients label of the store bought mocie ice cream for ideas.