• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saving locations on a map

Franci

Hello.

I'm trying to organize a trip and I'm reading and saving reviews but I'd like to save the locations (and maybe some notes) for restaurants and food shopping on a map.

I've searched on internet and seen that the skitch application from Evernote might be what I need. What do you use?

Thanks

I just counted, and I have 28 Google Maps -- North America, Europe and Asia divided into cities, states and regions of interest :blink:. Of course, my POIs are mostly food-related, with a splash of hotels, museums, shops, etc. Personal notes are attached to most of the entries, along with links to eGullet discussions and the like.

Google makes it easy to add new maps on a whim, like a "Baguettes of Paris" or "XLBs of Shanghai" map. And it's free, easily accessible from your Google account or Google Earth, and you can pre-cache the maps before going into an area with spotty cellular coverage.

I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I just counted, and I have 28 Google Maps -- North America, Europe and Asia divided into cities, states and regions of interest :blink:. Of course, my POIs are mostly food-related, with a splash of hotels, museums, shops, etc. Personal notes are attached to most of the entries, along with links to eGullet discussions and the like.

Google makes it easy to add new maps on a whim, like a "Baguettes of Paris" or "XLBs of Shanghai" map. And it's free, easily accessible from your Google account or Google Earth, and you can pre-cache the maps before going into an area with spotty cellular coverage.

I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords :laugh:

You = me! I also have a XLBs of Shanghai map! :laugh:

And lots of notes appended to my saved locations, mainly of directions to the spot from the nearest transit that I have pre-stepped visually out on Google Street View.. :rolleyes:

What can I say, I worship at the altar of Google!

You know what they say: Great minds travel alike!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Not that it's a contest, but I beat you both--I have 40 google maps. :raz:

google maps is easy to use, and it's free! You can also make duplicates of the same map, then add more places to one (or delete some of the places). I found this useful when planning multi-day trips, where I would create one map with all the places I planned to visit, then create an individual map for each day. I just had to copy the complete map, then delete extraneous places, and also add transit directions to the daily maps (it was too cumbersome to add those to the complete map).

Another advantage of google maps is that many people have already uploaded pictures of places. I usually delete people's google map pictures, but if i were going to an unfamiliar, difficult to find place, I would leave whatever picture there was so I could recognize it more easily when I saw it. I'm a very visual person, though, and I depend on landmarks more so than directions.

One thing I don't like about google maps is that occasionally, the icons don't print out properly. Even if I have a different icon for each place, sometimes they'll all print out as the default icon (the blue balloon with the dot). That's a PITA.

I use google maps too - one of the things I love about it is that is is accessible from my iPhone, so when Sweetie and I are on the road and are looking for some chow, we just pop open the salved link to the my foodie map and it shows us all the options that are close to where we are. The map is here if your interested.

Orem, Utah