• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Dulce is a Dud

Shel_B

I've made dulce de leche several times, and about every other time it does not get thick, and a couple of times it gets too dark (probably as a result of trying to cook it down to thicken it). I use the same milk (i.e., from the same dairy, treated at the same plant), the same sugar, and the same amount of sugar. Also use the same baking soda and vanilla extract. What should I be looking at in order to get consistent good results? I am stumped. I must be doing something different, but I cannot figure out what it is.

... Shel

I think you need to placate the local "gods" or some such because it seems like there is something inimical working against you. :rolleyes:

The only possibility I can think of is that sometimes it is too humid for the process to work efficiently within the the usual time and it make take another two or three hours in the crock pot.

I've never had a problem with it eventually coming together but there is always some variation in the color - sometimes it is darker but the flavor is the same.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Do you have a standard that you are comparing it to? Have you tried just the simple boiling the can of condensed milk and seeing how that somewhat processed product compares?

Do you have a standard that you are comparing it to? Have you tried just the simple boiling the can of condensed milk and seeing how that somewhat processed product compares?

Yes. My GF is Argentinean, and I have come to know what good dulce de leche tastes and feels like. Half the time I make it, I get accolades, other times I am banished to a dark corner in the kitchen and hang my head in shame.

We don't use cans of condensed milk now, although I tried it early on and my GF did many years ago. That stuff does not taste very good.

... Shel

The only possibility I can think of is that sometimes it is too humid for the process to work efficiently within the the usual time and it make take another two or three hours in the crock pot.

I've never had a problem with it eventually coming together but there is always some variation in the color - sometimes it is darker but the flavor is the same.

I make it on the stove top, however, I will start recording environmental variations.

This batch is for Toots' birthday, and it's got to be perfect. The place will be rife with Argentineans and other relatives. I'll make another batch tomorrow.

... Shel

There is also a process from David Lebovitz by which you put the condensed milk in a pie plate, covered and in a bain marie, into the oven. Less to be concerned about.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't think he is using condensed milk. He is making the real stuff with whole milk and sugar. I know many people like the CM stuff but I don't care for it. To me there is always a slight metallic taste and anyway, using the slow-cooker method, the traditional stuff is easy. My Mexican neighbor taught me this method years ago and I like it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There is also a process from David Lebovitz by which you put the condensed milk in a pie plate, covered and in a bain marie, into the oven. Less to be concerned about.

I've seen the recipe. Lebovitz uses condensed milk. Not something I want to do ...

... Shel

Have you tried enriching your milk with a bit of cream? When I make manjar de leche (same stuff, northern LA name), I've always had much better tasting results by adding between 1/2 and 1 C of very heavy cream to the recipe. Double cream if you can find it (for 1/2 cup) - down here we use Nata, which is the cream off the top of regular cream. It seems to help the thickening, as well as adding a very rich, rounded flavour to the final product.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Have you tried enriching your milk with a bit of cream?

No, I've not. The issue is that when I make the ddl, using the same ingredients and (seemingly) the same technique, there are times when the result does not firm up. I have achieved excellent results without cream, meeting the standards of the fussy Argentinean contingent

... Shel

I was at Walmart earlier and ran into a friend who has sheep, makes cheese from their milk and I asked if she has ever used it to make dulce de leche.

Her answer was, "Yes, and it was very "tangy" with a hint of "wet wool" that was not too unpleasant."

She said once was enough!

She does make it fairly often, using a half cow and half goat milk recipe similar to mine, but in larger quantities (in an electric roaster).

(She has two milking goats but doesn't use their milk for cheesemaking. One of her children has an allergy to cow milk.)

She also noted that sometimes it takes longer to thicken and it's usually in the winter and probably because of higher humidity because it rarely happens in the summer when the humidity is routinely below 30%.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I was at Walmart earlier and ran into a friend who has sheep, makes cheese from their milk and I asked if she has ever used it to make dulce de leche.

Her answer was, "Yes, and it was very "tangy" with a hint of "wet wool" that was not too unpleasant."

She said once was enough!

[...]

She also noted that sometimes it takes longer to thicken and it's usually in the winter and probably because of higher humidity because it rarely happens in the summer when the humidity is routinely below 30%.

The Argentineans usually prefer cow's milk, but we have some excellent goat milk here, and I'm tempted to give it a try, although not for the upcoming birthday party. Toots likes goat milk cheese, and it would be interesting to see how she'd like a goat milk dulce de leche. She's never tried the local goat milk.

Higher humidity as a possible cause for my problem ... hmm. This bears looking into.

Now, what about heat? It's possible that there may be temperature variations depending on which burner or stove I'm using. I don't always use the same ones (burners or stove) even though everything else is the same.

And what about stirring? Could more or less stirring affect the result? In what way?

... Shel

Mine (Ecuadorian Manjar de Leche) is as follows:

1 L full-fat milk

1 C of the heaviest cream you can get your hands on (I use nata, the Ecuadorian equivalent of double cream)

250g panela/piloncillo or at the very least demerrara or turbinado sugar

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp vanilla

--

1. In a heavy saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the milk and cream, then add the soda and vanilla, and stir well.

2. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat and continue to stir until the mixture takes on a golden, toasted colour.

3. Reduce the heat to minimym and continue to stir for about 10 minutes more (or until fairly thick), keeping constant motion.

4. Shock in a cold-water bath for about 5 minutes more, continuing to stir constantly. The manjar should be quite thick at this point, and the lovely caramel smell should pervade the house.

5. Allow to cool to room temperature at its own pace. Store in airtight containers in the fridge.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I would really like to make ddl, and was wondering if you would be willing to share your recipes with me? Especially the one in the crockpot.

Dulce de leche from scratch

This is an authentic dulce de leche recipe that tastes incredible. It is perfect for the Tres Leche cake

Here is an authentic Mexican recipe as made by Mrs. Obregon, my neighbor, who loves her slow-cooker which she says is muy sympatico.

DULCE DE LECHE - SLOW COOKER

1 Mexican (or other) vanilla bean, split lengthwise

2 cups regular goat milk, do not use low fat

2 cups regular milk

1 2/3 cups cane sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

dissolved in

¼ cup water

Mix the milk together in a quart measure.

Pour 3 cups of the milk (refrigerate the remaining cup) into the slow cooker and add the vanilla bean and sugar and turn heat control to high and mix with a whisk to make sure the sugar has dissolved.

As soon as the mixtue has warmed to about 140 degrees, add the water with the baking soda and whisk again.

Do not cover the cooker.

Continue cooking for about 8 hours, gently stirring about every 2 hours.

Remove the vanilla bean, wash it and set it aside to dry and stick it into your sugar canister to flavor the sugar.

Meanwhile, with a silicone high temp spatula, scrape down the crust that has formed on the sides and stir it into the mixture.

If foam forms do not remove it, simply stir down into the mixture.

Reduce the temperature to medium and continued cooking. Stir occasionally, about every 15-20 minutes until the mixture has thickened, it should pour like honey.

This should take about 2 hours.

Near the end of this time, warm the remaining cup of milk in a small saucepan then stir into the mixture in the slow cooker. Mix well and transfer to a sterilized quart jar and place the cap lightly on the jar, do not seal.

Allow it to cool to room temperature then tighten cap and refrigerate.

It will keep for three months in the refrigerator.

This is an authentic dulce de leche recipe that tastes incredible. It is perfect for the Tres Leche cake

Here is an authentic Mexican recipe as made by Mrs. Obregon, my neighbor, who loves her slow-cooker which she says is muy sympatico.

When you make the DdeL in this manner, how thick does it get? Can it be poured, or is it nice and firm

... Shel

When you make the DdeL in this manner, how thick does it get? Can it be poured, or is it nice and firm

Here's a photo I posted in another thread some time ago. #36 on this page

You can stand the spoon up in it when it has cooled to room temp.

Cajeta:spoon.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Here's a photo I posted in another thread some time ago. #36 on this page

You can stand the spoon up in it when it has cooled to room temp.

Cajeta:spoon.JPG

OK! That's the result I'm striving for, but only get about 1/2 the time. Thanks. You've given me a couple of ideas about why my results are inconsistent.

... Shel