• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searching the web for pastry images, related food blogs?

dejaq

from my Facebook page "Patissier Chef Michael":

tag galaxy

enter into the text field a word like "pastry" you get a visual representation similar to Google images.....but more like on steroids, try it you will love it.

Twingy

let's say hypothetically you wanted to keep up with all current events regarding all global blogosphere feeds related to, oh I don't know "molecular gastronomy"......you get the idea....it's better than an RSS feed.

airtightinteractive

The Flickr Related Tag Browser allows you to search for a series of tags and see related tags. Clicking on a different tag brings up new related tags. You can zoom into the tag selected in the center of the screen by hovering and see images tagged with that word. It also gives a total image count and lets you browse by page.....it's a form of mind mapping software.

Michael Robert Porru :cool:

P.S....there is a lot of zero and one's crunching going on behind the scenes, and under the covers with these interfaces and progs, using a more powerful processor may be an asset.

ScreenShot621.jpg

ScreenShot622.jpg

ScreenShot623.jpg

ScreenShot624.jpg

tag galaxy

try it you will love it

No. I didn't like it at all. It only shows Flickr photos which is a tiny percentage of what is viewable through conventional searches, and almost impossible to search sensibly. Another triumph of flash display over functionality.

Twingy (sic - it's Twingly)

Of the ten "preview" search results it gave me, only one was of any relevance to my search criteria. "Better than RSS? In what way?

The third one, is only Flickr again, but it didn't even work in my browser. I can't see any images. Back to the drawing board, chaps. Flickr isn't even the biggest photo resource.

I cannot see anything in any of these search methods which improves on plain old ordinary Google image searches. They may look flashier,but they don't deliver.

But I don't see what relevance this has to a culinary forum, anyway. It's just a review of photo search engines.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto