• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo: Looking for some tiki food items, too

Douglas Winship

MxMo-Tiki-Logo.jpg

Hey everyone! Mixology Monday announcements usually go in the cocktails forum, but I'm adding an announcement here since this one applies to food too. The theme this month is Tiki, and that means "exotic" dishes and much as drinks.

The latest MxMo will be February 20th, and here's the announcement post: Call for Submissions: Mixology Monday—TIki

I'd love to see some cool exotic dishes this time around as well.

Remember, if you don't have a blog, just post here in reply to this thread. Or, if you want more formatting options, or you have a long one, contact me, and I'll give you a pass as a guest author on my blog and you can post there.

Hmmm. I've already come up with my drink for this MxMo. I've followed many but participated in none. I'm a complete novice at creating drinks but I decided to say screw it and join the fun this time. Best case, I've come up with something not completely horrible and learn what I could have done to make it better. Worst case, I take a ribbing and learn from others letting me know where it went wrong. Either way, I learn. Now I see this post and it makes me want to add a food item to my entry... just when I thought I was finally done.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hmmm. I've already come up with my drink for this MxMo. I've followed many but participated in none. I'm a complete novice at creating drinks but I decided to say screw it and join the fun this time. Best case, I've come up with something not completely horrible and learn what I could have done to make it better. Worst case, I take a ribbing and learn from others letting me know where it went wrong. Either way, I learn. Now I see this post and it makes me want to add a food item to my entry... just when I thought I was finally done.

Just to be clear, drink entries for Mixology Monday have not typically been required to be original, though of course there is not normally a restriction on that either.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Just to be clear, drink entries for Mixology Monday have not typically been required to be original, though of course there is not normally a restriction on that either.

By all means come on in! The water's fine.

And yes, an original drink is not necessary. That said, originals are great to see. As a final note, I've read a few really fun MxMo posts about drinks that ended up NOT working, and the author knew it. There is much to be learned from WHY a drink fails to be good, or just fails to accomplish what it was designed for!

Thanks for the encouragement. For me, the drink has to be my own baby. Even if it turns out to be an ugly duckling. It's a personal thing. The fun for me in the food challenges I used to do online (TGRWT, Royal Foodie Joust... both seem to be things of the past unfortunately) was the creating. I don't have a delicate ego. If my entry stinks, I hope somebody says so and then tells me why. There are people on eGullet who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about drinks, so any opportunity to learn is a good thing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Unfortunately, a work situation beyond my control killed my plan to do a food item as well but I'm looking forward to seeing what others did.