• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy activated charcol, ascorbic acid, and other wine-related

jrshaul

I make a lot of liqueurs, and the local wine 'n hop shop has ceased stocking the activated charcoal required. I also go through huge amounts of ascorbic acid as a preservative. Can anyone suggest a vendor that sells these items cheaply, and might carry uncommon ingredients like bitter orange?

I have no vendor suggestions (Google is just a couple keystrokes away :laugh:). But, if your area is anything like ours, a pharmacy (chemist) is just about the last place you'll find anything for the winery or brewery.

You could try a Whole Foods-type grocery, or maybe there's a good health food store in town?

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

You can buy it in bulk.

Here.

Dried bitter orange peel will give you a less harsh flavor than the extract.

But you can buy the extract in pill form at any health food store.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm pretty sure that some charcoal is more suitable than others for this application, in part due to particle size - I use it for filtering cheap vodka. Also, the bitter orange peel contains an awful lot of pith, which makes for some funny-tasting booze.

I'm pretty sure that some charcoal is more suitable than others for this application, in part due to particle size - I use it for filtering cheap vodka. Also, the bitter orange peel contains an awful lot of pith, which makes for some funny-tasting booze.

The charcoal vendor I posted has every type of FOOD GRADE charcoal.

I figured you already had the filtering equipment. You can always buy a complete AC filter that has the screens designed to catch even the tiniest charcoal bits.

The dried orange peel is used by people who make their own flavorings for delicate desserts, drinks and candies.

I have dried my own when I have been able to get Seville oranges or oranges grown on the old orange trees from rootstock after the grafted parts have been killed by frost.

If properly prepared, there is no "funny-tasting" component. You just have to taste the peel after it has been steamed or parboiled until you get the flavor you want and you won't get the odd medicinal flavor that is found in the inexpensive bitter orange extracts (of questionable strength) that are labeled "synephrine" and marketed for weight control.

The commercial extract that is labeled: citrus aurantium amara peel bitter extract is difficult to find and is expensive - usually because it is only available in volume to manufacturers for use in cosmetics and scent products.

It is controlled because of possible toxicity.

You can read all about it HERE.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The charcoal vendor I posted has every type of FOOD GRADE charcoal.

I figured you already had the filtering equipment. You can always buy a complete AC filter that has the screens designed to catch even the tiniest charcoal bits.

I was replying to the comment on fishtank charcoal. I used to keep an aquarium, and can confirm it's not very suitable. Thanks for the link, actually - I may be ordering from there shortly.

The dried orange peel is used by people who make their own flavorings for delicate desserts, drinks and candies.

I have dried my own when I have been able to get Seville oranges or oranges grown on the old orange trees from rootstock after the grafted parts have been killed by frost.

If properly prepared, there is no "funny-tasting" component. You just have to taste the peel after it has been steamed or parboiled until you get the flavor you want and you won't get the odd medicinal flavor that is found in the inexpensive bitter orange extracts (of questionable strength) that are labeled "synephrine" and marketed for weight control.

I hadn't considered boiling the citrus peel, though it is a glaringly obvious solution. I'm not that familiar with bitter orange - is it a question of the flavoring boiling off, or is it a temperature reaction? Canning jars can be used to raise alcohol to 200F without exploding, which should help retain the flavor.