• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar America Red Velvet cake recipe...canola oil?

TurtleMeng

Hi everyone

I have not been here forever. Anyways...please give me some good advice.

Bobby Brown has a fantastic looking Red Velvet cake in his book. It calls for...

Creaming 12 Tsp butter and 2 1/4 c sugar ( no problem)...and 3/4 c canola oil together.

I kept reading the direction...really? It specifically states the oil adds the cake's moistness. I sighed and tried. It came out ok, but there were grease spots on my parchment. I even reduced the oil to 2/3 cup. So....

(1) would u cream butter, sugar, and oil? Would u do that all in one? ( I creamed the butter and sugar, then slowly dripped in the oil while praying)

(2) Or would u dump in the oil with the wet stuff (1 1/2 c buttermilk in this case)?

Any other suggestion on RV cake more than welcomed.

Edited by TurtleMeng (log)
"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

I have tendency to be a bit of a butter snob but red velvet cake, if you really want to take them home when they eat it, needs the oil. Obviously that's just my opinion but I've done an all-butter version and my red velvet loving customers prefer the version with oil. As for whether to cream it with the butter and sugar or add it with the wet... do whichever makes you happy. There are all-oil recipes where the wet is just dumped into the dry with no creaming of anything and they turn out fine.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.