• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goose Chase

dcarch

Quattro's at the Union Square Greenmarket for a fresh goose, but it would be wise to call ahead and reserve one for the day you plan to pick it up.

Fairway and Ottomanelli's are good bets, likely frozen, so plan ahead.

Save the fat drippings, and render any fatty trimmings. A goose can put out more than 2-3 cups of goosefat. I roast a goose occasionally mainly to collect the fat for other purposes. Eating the goose is a bonus.

• 1 year later...

And I think I saw geese (frozen) in Chinatown, though I'll have to look the next time I walk around.

I do realize this is an old post but I am curious to know where in Chinatown you saw the geese? I'll try to hunt down a goose and make one for the first time this year. Thanks.!

Chef and Editor @ Yi Reservation

And I think I saw geese (frozen) in Chinatown, though I'll have to look the next time I walk around.

I do realize this is an old post but I am curious to know where in Chinatown you saw the geese? I'll try to hunt down a goose and make one for the first time this year. Thanks.!

There's a butcher on Catherine St. that has a lot of different poultry. Also check the large supermarkets, like the one under the Manhattan bridge and the new one that has opened underneath the new hotel on Pike St.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?