• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aerated ganache in a molded piece?

ChocoNM

I'm thinking about trying to make a "cappachino foam" molded chocolate - something like a foamy cappachino mocha ganache in a molded shell. A cappachino "Aero" bon bon. Has anybody done something like this, or could point me towards a relevent link? I'm not even sure what this would be called to do a search ;^) TIA

Thats some pretty amazing stuff thats mostly way above my head. But now I know that what I'm thinking of is doable (at least by someone ;^) and "bubble chocolate" is the term I should be searching. Thanks for the lead.

I've never made an aerated ganache but I think I've seen it done using a sous vide machine.

If you just want an "Aero" type bar, I have done many but I've usually used oil for the flavoring.

Basically, I used 600g of tempered chocolate, 60g of olive oil (10%) and flavored oil to taste.

I poured this mixture into a warm Isi whipper, give it 2 shots of CO2, shaking vigorously after each charge and then let the whipper sit in warm 32 degrees C water for about 10 minutes. This keeps the chocolate fluid so the bubbles can move around.

I then spray out the chocolate into the molds. The good thing about this is that you don't have to cap the molds because the chocolate is already in temper.

I've attached a picture of the final result of a peppermint flavored "Aero" bar

aero1.jpg

That ties in with Chef Migoya. Taking from the Comments of the Blog Post linked above, the author states:

Francisco Migoya said...

Mixture is 90% white chocolate and 10% canola oil, which gives it fluidity to take in the bubbles. I use the iSi whipper only, keeping it warm throughout the process so that it does not seize in the canister.

I'm late to the party on this one! I can't wait to try this technique.

I have a question I hope someone can answer... Some time ago I started a thread about mousse ganache:

if you want to take a look.

I had tried mousse ganache in Paris and loved the soft, airy texture. It seems the predominant flavour in mousse ganache from several different chocolatiers was caramel mousse (it was always a caramel/chocolate ganache). It got me thinking that using a runny caramel to make the ganache would result in the perfect texture to use the ISI with. Having never used one I am only surmising this from the chocolate + 10% oil formulation. Am I way off base here? Do you think the ISI could make a caramel mousse ganache?