• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seed culture issues

BadRabbit

I am working on the sourdough seed culture from Reinhart's "American Pie" and nothing seems to be happening. It's now been over a week.

I started with whole wheat from a local mill (so i know it hasn't been treated with anything) and fresh squeezed pineapple juice. I've then been using KA Bread flour to feed with tap water (though after the 3rd day I thought better of it and started using bottled spring water). So far it not only has failed to double, it hasn't risen at all.

Any ideas on what to do next and where my problem lies?

What should the consistency of the culture be right after I feed? Following Reinhart's measurements gives me a stiff batter while his descriptions seem to describe a rather dry dough consistency.

Boy, do I feel your pain. I failed at wild-yeast sourdough MANY times before succeeding. The pineapple juice made the difference for me, as I was interpreting the bubbly results of bacteria as yeast activity, and I couldn't figure out why my bubbly starter suddenly went flat around day 5.

A few things to consider: if your kitchen temp is very cool, the whole process will take much longer. Just keep feeding the starter as long as it shows any signs of life. Wait at least 24 hours between feedings. If it turns weird colors (pink, green, orange) or smells awful (smell of apples, alcohol, faint whiff of nail polish are okay smells), throw it out and start over. Also try feeding it with a portion of rye flour, as rye ferments easily. And don't over-feed; smaller amounts over several days is always better than a big feeding all at once. And don't seal it up too tightly--give it a little breathing room.

RE: culture consistency/texture, this entirely depends on the amount of liquid you wish to add. Some people like a stiff starter, others like a liquid levain. After tending my starter & baking bread from it, off and on, for over a year, I've found I prefer it around 60-65% hydration. You can adjust it up or down as needed through subsequent feedings/builds.

ETA: the yeast bakers on the forum over at The Fresh Loafare great at troubleshooting, too...

Edited by HungryC (log)

Throw it out (or compost it). Anyone who's headed down the sourdough road needs to learn to let go of surplus flour & water. Once your culture is mature, you'll be discarding some of it each time you feed. So as much as you (and I) may hate waste, it's an inevitable part of home sourdough. I always TRY to find a use for the discard portion (had sourdough waffles this morning, sometimes I make small toaster-oven flatbreads or pizzas), but at times, the trashcan is the only option.

Throw it out (or compost it). Anyone who's headed down the sourdough road needs to learn to let go of surplus flour & water. Once your culture is mature, you'll be discarding some of it each time you feed. So as much as you (and I) may hate waste, it's an inevitable part of home sourdough. I always TRY to find a use for the discard portion (had sourdough waffles this morning, sometimes I make small toaster-oven flatbreads or pizzas), but at times, the trashcan is the only option.

I was thinking more of just adding commercial yeast and incorporating it into a non-sourdough bread. If there is no flavor development though, this wouldn't do any good. I don't mind the chunking of flour and water. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing out flavor that I could incorporate elsewhere.