• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2011 IACP Award Nominees

Today the IACP, (International Association of Culinary Professionals), announced their 2011 Award Nominees. Dorie Greenspan's "Around my French Table," is a finalist in the Food Photography and Styling category. The full list of award finalists can be found here.

An interesting list. I see other cookbooks that have been discussed here--Fiesta at Rick's, Noma.

But I am floored by books nominated for "Culinary Classics." How is it possible that ALL of these are not already acknowledged as classics? How, dear god, do you choose between these gems?

The list of nominees:

American Heritage Cookbook , American Heritage Publishing, 1964

A Book of Mediterranean Food, Elizabeth David, 1950

The Classic Italian Cook Book , Marcella Hazan, 1977

Delights and Prejudices, James Beard, 1964

The Gastronomical Me, M.F.K.Fisher, 1943

Joy of Cooking (1975 edition), Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker, 1975

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 volumes), Julie Child, Simone Beck, Louisette Bertholle, Vol 1, 1961; Vol 2, 1970

On Food & Cooking, Harold McGee, 1984

Oxford Companion to Food , Alan Davidson, 1999

Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, Paul Prudhomme, 1984

Today the IACP, (International Association of Culinary Professionals), announced their 2011 Award Nominees. Dorie Greenspan's "Around my French Table," is a finalist in the Food Photography and Styling category. The full list of award finalists can be found here.

Dorie's "Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes From My Home To Yours" is ALSO a finalist in the General category!

Wow, most years I barely recognize any of the books, and this year I've cooked extensively from three of them! Unfortunately, not all in the same category, so I have no idea of their chances of winning. I really liked Bayless's Fiesta at Rick's a lot, though there were some editing issues. Greenspan's Around my French Table also had a number of really wonderful recipes in it. I personally felt that Young's Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge was not as good as her earlier efforts, but since I'm not familiar with the competition I don't know what her chances are.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org