• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Ham Hocks

I am having a LOAD of trouble trying to find REALY heavily smoked ham hocks.... or for that matter.... any good heavily smoked pork or beef item i can put into a pot of beans.

i have been using what i can find but i'm not getting enough smoked flavor in the beans as none of the hocks i have been getting have that much smoking to them.

i'm in Central Texas.... can anyone recomend WHERE to go to find some really good smoked hocks or anything thats gonna make my beans REALLY good. i dont mind driving if i have to.

beans are HUGE part of my diet and its important i get them just the way i like them.

thanks

Where are you getting the ones you don't like? I buy the ones from HEB semi-regularly and they are quite smokey, if not quite as intense as what I make at home.

I have gotten the ones from HEB and i dont care for them that much. they tatse to me like an artificial smoked flavor.

i was thinking that maybe some of the pits around here might have something good i could put in the beans but so far... only Louie Mueller in Taylor has really heavily smoked links that might do. but.... i was hoping to find some hocks before i resorted to that.

i may have to make my own.... which actually wouldnt be too bad an idea.

ok well thanks for your comments

Where are you getting the ones you don't like? I buy the ones from HEB semi-regularly and they are quite smokey, if not quite as intense as what I make at home.

I have gotten the ones from HEB and i dont care for them that much. they tatse to me like an artificial smoked flavor.

i was thinking that maybe some of the pits around here might have something good i could put in the beans but so far... only Louie Mueller in Taylor has really heavily smoked links that might do. but.... i was hoping to find some hocks before i resorted to that.

i may have to make my own.... which actually wouldnt be too bad an idea.

ok well thanks for your comments

I'll check around--I live in Elgin but have never payed attention to wether the places here have hocks. I've never smoked hocks before but I do like to leave a lot of meat attatched to the shoulder blade when I'm cutting up a pork butt for sausage or other uses and then I just dredge it in dry cure, rinse off the excess after a few hours, and smoke it. Makes for hellaciously good beans.

Edit for clarity.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I'll check around--I live in Elgin but have never payed attention to wether the places here have hocks. I've never smoked hocks before but I do like to leave a lot of meat attatched to the shoulder blade when I'm cutting up a pork butt for sausage or other uses and then I just dredge it in dry cure, rinse off the excess after a few hours, and smoke it. Makes for hellaciously good beans.

Edit for clarity.